Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to Tahoe Donner and want to ride some of the trails such as Motherload, Foolsgold, and so forth. This will be my first time riding there and was hoping someone can recommend a good loop and place to park. Hoping to get about 15- 20 miles in. I have downloaded the trailmap.
Thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Isn't this in the national forest? if so, there are no open trails because the NF is closed.
No, it's not. It's private land. Here's a route I like because I like to climb road as much as possible, avoid out and backs and save the trail for downhill. The climbs are steep, though, and it might not be to everyone's taste. I'm on an eeb but friends on Amish ride this with me. The Tahoe Donner descents are pretty anti-flow due to trail design but the last descent on the DLRT is really sweet even though very pedally at the end. Watch out for hikers on the fast section as it can be popular at times. Also, they're running a pilot program that has made some trails horse only. Only you never see a horse weekdays at least. Reason I mention it is that this route descends one of them, Everest. If you don't want to do that then just keep going on the fire road past it until you come to either Hawk's Peak if you want more climbing or Mother Lode if you don't. https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/30044877/

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking I could also park at Bikeworks at the Alder Creek Adventure Center and ask them for a preferred loop. I have ridden the DLRT to HITG.
DLRT to HITG is nothing like the section descending from Drifter back to Bermgarten. It's also substantially closed due to the Forest closure. There's a big closed signed at the top of the Drifter switchbacks which makes me assume the same at the botton of Wendin. But yes, you could certainly get a loop rec at the Center. Have fun!

·
Paper or plastic?
10,745 Posts
DLRT to HITG is nothing like the section descending from Drifter back to Bermgarten. It's also substantially closed due to the Forest closure. There's a big closed signed at the top of the Drifter switchbacks which makes me assume the same at the botton of Wendin. But yes, you could certainly get a loop rec at the Center. Have fun!
Is DLRT on Johnson closed?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The Trailforks app seems to be noting current trail segment status. (DLRT/Johnson closed.)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Johnson is closed, and I believe DLRT between Johnson and HITG is also closed. There's definitely a closure sign at the top of Johnson as of last Friday. See pic.

Tahoe Donner is open. You can either:
1. Bikeworks parking lot -> True Grit -> Mother Lode -> Hidden Gem or Fool's Gold. If you want more chunk find your way to the top of Hawk's Peak. Mother Lode and Hidden Gem will dump you into Euer Valley, then either take the fireroads up to the parking lot or hop on Cinammon Twist for a bit more fun.
2. Bikeworks parking lot -> Cinnamon twist down to Euer Valley -> East Mustang Sally (climb) -> West Mustang Sally (descent). Or head back down East Mustang Sally if you like what you see. There's a fireroad option as an alternate to West Mustang Sally (for the climb) but I'm not a fan of that at all.
3. Combine the options above for a lengthier ride - Do #1 and then ride across the valley over to East Mustang Sally and o #2 above.
4. Bermgarten parking lot: Donner Lake Rim Trail -> ride up to Drifter hut and turn around and return. You can add miles by continuing onward into Tahoe Donner trails via Andromeda and do #1 and/or #2, then climb back up to Hawk's Peak and drop down DLRT back to the parking lot.

I'd recommend option #1 or #4 if you haven't ridden the area before. It's fun but not really super challenging at all.

Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape Grass

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Johnson is closed, and I believe DLRT between Johnson and HITG is also closed. There's definitely a closure sign at the top of Johnson as of last Friday. See pic.

1. Bikeworks parking lot -> True Grit -> Mother Lode -> Hidden Gem or Fool's Gold. If you want more chunk find your way to the top of Hawk's Peak. Mother Lode and Hidden Gem will dump you into Euer Valley, then either take the fireroads up to the parking lot or hop on Cinammon Twist for a bit more fun.
2. Bikeworks parking lot -> Cinnamon twist down to Euer Valley -> East Mustang Sally (climb) -> West Mustang Sally (descent). Or head back down East Mustang Sally if you like what you see. There's a fireroad option as an alternate to West Mustang Sally (for the climb) but I'm not a fan of that at all.
3. Combine the options above for a lengthier ride - Do #1 and then ride across the valley over to East Mustang Sally and o #2 above.
4. Bermgarten parking lot: Donner Lake Rim Trail -> ride up to Drifter hut and turn around and return. You can add miles by continuing onward into Tahoe Donner trails via Andromeda and do #1 and/or #2, then climb back up to Hawk's Peak and drop down DLRT back to the parking lot.

I'd recommend option #1 or #4 if you haven't ridden the area before. It's fun but not really super challenging at all.

View attachment 1948287
Thanks so much! I will definately do those routes. Looking forward to it.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,745 Posts

View attachment 1948287
1 plus 2 sounds good. I may also ride from town via the paved trail to Drifter and back.

·
Registered
896 Posts
sa12 has it right, all excellent options! True Grit from Hawk's Peak is also kinda fun to descend too. If you do the Mother Lode etc descent and feel like you want to climb again going back up Cinammon Twist and then whatever up to the top and back down True Grit back to the parking lot is a nice way to finish up the ride.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Heading up to Tahoe Donner and want to ride some of the trails such as Motherload, Foolsgold, and so forth. This will be my first time riding there and was hoping someone can recommend a good loop and place to park. Hoping to get about 15- 20 miles in. I have downloaded the trailmap.
Thanks!
I have found the Alder Creek Adventure center is not very helpful. I would park down by Coyote Moon and climb the Donner Lake Rim Trail all the way to the Drifter Hut. Then drop Andromeda Fire Road and short climb up to Hawks Peak.

Then all the Mother Load's to Fools Gold to Coyote Crossing and then getting on Sidewinder and taking that back to the fire road.

Then the fire road to Cinnamon Twist and the Adventure Center. Then Alder Creek and Northwoods would take you back to the car.

I think there's probably a more fun way down from Alder Creek that I don't know.

I hate to say it but the trails are really mediocre by Tahoe standards. It's pretty back there and the stretch from Motherload to Fools Gold is a solid 6 out of 10.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have found the Alder Creek Adventure center is not very helpful. I would park down by Coyote Moon and climb the Donner Lake Rim Trail all the way to the Drifter Hut. Then drop Andromeda Fire Road and short climb up to Hawks Peak.

Then all the Mother Load's to Fools Gold to Coyote Crossing and then getting on Sidewinder and taking that back to the fire road.

Then the fire road to Cinnamon Twist and the Adventure Center. Then Alder Creek and Northwoods would take you back to the car.

I think there's probably a more fun way down from Alder Creek that I don't know.

I hate to say it but the trails are really mediocre by Tahoe standards. It's pretty back there and the stretch from Motherload to Fools Gold is a solid 6 out of 10.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info. Is Coyote Moon the golf course. I’ve ridden DLRT, HITG, the Jackass trail network, and TRT from Mt. Rose to Chimney Beach, Northstar, and want to try some new trails. That’s why I was thinking Tahoe Donner, Big Chief and possibly Mills Peak. Any other trails you would recommend near Truckee or around there. I’m coming up 80. Thanks!

·
Registered
896 Posts

There is, it's called the Donner Lake Rim Trail. Just ride it right back down the hill. You shouldn't need to touch asphalt at all. Maybe you'll need to refill your water bottles at the adventure center (there's a refill station inside the building near the bathrooms), but apart from riding your bike in the parking lot your tires shouldn't need to touch pavement except when you pull your bike out of your car/truck.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I don't mean to be a hater on Tahoe Donner. If I had those trails in my backyard in Marin I'd be stoked but compared to TRT around Tahoe City, and some other Tahoe destinations its not comparable.

TRT from Northstar to Tahoe City is sooo fun!

I think Big Chief is pretty fun too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't mean to be a hater on Tahoe Donner. If I had those trails in my backyard in Marin I'd be stoked but compared to TRT around Tahoe City, and some other Tahoe destinations its not comparable.

TRT from Northstar to Tahoe City is sooo fun!

I think Big Chief is pretty fun too.
Do you access TRT at 267 when you ride TRT to Tahoe City?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.