Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on doing some rides out of Tahoe City next week Jun 20-22nd.

BrockwaySummit to Tahoe City
BarkerPass to Tahoe City

Are the trails clear of snow? thanks

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,775 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
gonzo said:
Planning on doing some rides out of Tahoe City next week Jun 20-22nd.

BrockwaySummit to Tahoe City
BarkerPass to Tahoe City

Are the trails clear of snow? thanks
BS to TC is prime, right now as good as it gets. I have done a bunch of riding on it the last couple of weeks.

Can't speak of the other route, my tires did not roll there.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
BS to TC

29erchico said:
BS to TC is prime, right now as good as it gets. I have done a bunch of riding on it the last couple of weeks.
How does this compare say from Mt Rose to Marlett/Spooner sections??

Thx in advance-JMac

·
rider
2,356 Posts
JMac47 said:

Thx in advance-JMac
Any input I could give you about that is nearly three weeks old. It sucked then, but with all the rain, it must be lots better now...

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Thx

29erchico said:
Any input I could give you about that is nearly three weeks old. It sucked then, but with all the rain, it must be lots better now...
but I just meant comparing the trails as far as the general ride of them. :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
JMac47 said:
but I just meant comparing the trails as far as the general ride of them. :D
It's far far rougher (though the trail out of Tahoe City was re-routed last year, so maybe it isn't as bad anymore). Distance is greater, and the views of the lake aren't as good.

That said, I'm hoping to ride Tahoe City to Brockway Summit tomorrow. Some say the opposite direction is easier (starting at Brockway), however since they re-routed the trail around the gnarly section right outside of Tahoe City, I'm hoping it is now a wash. Starting in TC and ending at Brockway allows you to coast down to Kings Beach and take the ~$1.50 shuttle (the TART bus) back to TC, which works well if you are riding it solo.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
JMac47 said:

Thx in advance-JMac

I have not done the TRT from Mt Rose all the way to Marlett. Always seem to be with someone who just has to drop down to the Flume trail and get to Marlett that way. So I guess that I'm pretty tired of the flume trail as it is rather boring as far as riding goes. Other than the amazing views that is.

I have heard good things about taking the TRT all the way to Marlett from my bud's who live and ride there, FWIW.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
anotherbrian said:
That said, I'm hoping to ride Tahoe City to Brockway Summit tomorrow. Some say the opposite direction is easier (starting at Brockway), however since they re-routed the trail around the gnarly section right outside of Tahoe City, I'm hoping it is now a wash. Starting in TC and ending at Brockway allows you to coast down to Kings Beach and take the ~$1.50 shuttle (the TART bus) back to TC, which works well if you are riding it solo.
The reroute section of the TRT that drops you out in TC when ridden E to W is super fun now. So fun that when we rode it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, we went right back the next day to do it again. Very well laid out trail with killer views (but not of the lake) along most of the way. So. if you can work out the details, I'd strongly suggest going BS to TC.

But either way, it will be a great time!

Happy trails

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
I have ridden TRT from Alpine Meadows to Brockaway before and was less impressed with the section from Watson Lake to Brockaway. If you start at Brockaway I think that is the more downhill direction. I totally agree that the new section near Tahoe City is real fun and flowy. Here is a link to info for the new section along with some pics: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=68510.

My guess is the Barker section, which goes by Stanford Rock will still have some snow. And last Saturday Tahoe Meadows off the Mt Rose Highway still had snow. I did hear that the shuttles will be starting this week so it may be doable.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Brockway to Tahoe city IS the direction, Great cross county route with a significant net loss in elevation, find your way up towards Martis Peak for an additional 4 miles of downhill to start your day out right.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Still snow west of 89

Sierra crest still has significant snow, TRT out of tahoe meadows still has alot of snow in the woodsy section out of the meadows. I drove through tahoe meadows last night and there was alot of riders heading out, too bad they are going to trash the trail, there still are 4' drifts in the trees. Here is a link for the Squaw webcam which gives you an idea of the snow conditions, I think the cam is at mid-mountain.
http://www.squaw.com/high-camp-cam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts