Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those wondering.

Wind changed directions last night and while not as good as it usually is, the air quality is much much improved.

Yesterday you could not see across lake due to the smoke.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry for the double post but I just got back from a ride up in N Tahoe. Air was perfectly clear until about 6pm and then it rolled in thick and fast, just like a fog bank. If the wind blows the same as it is this evening then it'll be grim tomorrow

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont think it was more smoke but rather just the smoke being more visable due to the sun setting and being lower on the horizon. The wind has been the same all day and did not change tonight (except die down). And there is still plenty of smoke..just much better then yesterday in my opinion.

In AM will know for sure.

·
go fast, pull up
57 Posts
change for the worse

The smoke definetely got worse this afternoon. The morning was clear so we rode up to Scott Peak. When we got there I could clearly see across the lake to the east shore but hangin out at the warming hut for about 45 minutes and we could barely see the near shore from the peak. Truckee looked like a fog bank blew in when we got home.

·
Registered
555 Posts
S. Lake was the same today. Blue sky as we hiked the PCT from Carson pass to Showers lake. Smoke started rolling in around 4pm and got thicker by 6pm. Forecast says it's clearing again tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
My wife and I hiked yesterday morning, but left Tahoe before it got worse again. We camped for a couple days and came home early. This smoke sucks - I want to ride :(

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
PLease keep the reports coming in!!!!!!
I did a road ride from cisco grove to Donner Lake Friday afternoon and it was great till then end when the smoke started rolling in. I want to get back up there Sunday.

·
Registered
312 Posts
smoooookey this morning I was headed to Dville at (slept in Grass Valley, left at 7am), and it was terrible to the point we turned around at the India Valley (10mi from Dville). we held out hope, but ultimately the wind shift doomed the trip. I spoke with Yuba folks later and they said it better up higher, but still some smoke. they had a packed house, so lots of folks still riding. me and my buddy area headed back to the bay area and think we'll hit Rockville on the way back...something to make this not feel like a total loss..
Ride on...eventually.

-Kcavt

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Good to see you're back on it!

merlin said:
I did a road ride from cisco grove to Donner Lake Friday afternoon and it was great till then end when the smoke started rolling in. I want to get back up there Sunday.
Hey merlin, what'd you end up doing with your pearly whites??

I'm trying to get up to Incline next w/end. Maybe we can hook up for a ride.

·
Registered
759 Posts
my trip for Sunday was cancelled because of smoke concerns. I have been trying to get that decision reversed by convincing my crew that it will better by Sunday. Any info today about the South Tahoe area will be much appriciated (Big Meadow area). Ride on:thumbsup:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Passenger13 said:
my trip for Sunday was cancelled because of smoke concerns. I have been trying to get that decision reversed by convincing my crew that it will better by Sunday. Any info today about the South Tahoe area will be much appriciated (Big Meadow area). Ride on:thumbsup:
Just go back from a ride close to Big Meadow. Very clear now.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just finished a Mt Rose Meadows to TRT to Flume to Spooner with Nielsvk. Smoke was not a factor at all..except the views were not as beautiful as usual but still very nice.

My only complaint today was that it was crowded but still great ride. Suggest if you ride..ride early.

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
It appears from this latest satellite image (taken today) that there's a definite south-eastern component of the winds across the state (for example, take a look at the slightly darker streak of smoke from the Big Sur fire on top of the marine layer)

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=AERONET_Fresno.2008180.terra.250m&vectors=fires

That's keeping the smoke on the western side of the Sierras, so good news for those in Tahoe today - bad news for those of us stuck down here.

But the weather forecast is predicting a shift to southwestern winds, meaning it should clear up here at the coast, but also blow the smoke back to Tahoe. But I've been hearing about this shift to a south-westernly wind for a few days now, and it keeps not happening...

·
Tahoe Native
67 Posts
Rode Toads after work yesterday, and over Tahoe Mtn. to Fallen Leaf lake for a swim today. The smoke isn't as bad as the Pollen and Mosquito's. The smoke was much worse earlier in the week, and moves in a little more in the evenings. As posted before, the views aren't as good as they should be.

·
Registered
624 Posts
merlin said:
PLease keep the reports coming in!!!!!!
Did an up/back of Spooner/ Kingsbury today. Started about 10am. It was clear, with a good wind from the east in the morning. Absolutely beautiful. At about 2 in the afternoon the wind shifted from the southwest and the smoke started rolling in. I definately felt the smoke in my throat and lungs the last hour on the way back to Spooner.

You could see the lake and the mountains to the west on the on the way out. On the way back couldn't even see the lake from the bench.

The smoke was much worse on Hwy 80 on my way back in the afternoon than it was this morning.

If tommorrow is a replay of today, it's best to get an early start. But who knows, depends on which way the wind decides to blow....

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
I was in South Lake Tahoe over the weekend. It definitely wasn't as clear or beautiful as usual but it wasn't an issue. I rode Mr Toads on Sat and it was fine. Only a small patch of snow on the ground near the top. Two down trees on the whole trail. One has two planks over it. Rode over it twice with no problems. 2nd tree down near the bottom. No way to ride that one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.