Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tahoe ride last weekend got cancelled due to a snow storm. But I had a rare weekday off so I headed up to Tahoe. I did the Armstrong Pass Loop: up to Armstrong Pass, down and across Hwy 89, out to Scotts Lake, up the Tahoe Rim Trail to Toads and down to the start via Armstrong Pass. There was a bit of snow here and there, especially in north facing woods. On the initial climb it was near freezing and my feet got pretty wet from scattered snow. By the time I started down the other side of Armstrong Pass on the fire road my toes were pretty cold and they stayed that way for the entire ride. I started going out the TRT toward the Pacific Crest Trail, but I was concerned about having cold feet for up to 12 hours, and the climbing was pretty tough. Good thing I turned around because the snow was quite a problem from the top of Saxon Creek to Armstrong Pass and it took a lot of extra effort. I also had to take it easy on a good bit of the downhills, since there was snow in several places. Although the temperature hit the 50's by the time I finished it took quite a bit of time to warm my toes up with the car heater. Fortunately, I have some neoprene shoe covers scheduled for delivery tomorrow!

Early morning light

Massive downed tree

This was no fun

Many open areas were bone dry

I had to walk the plank with my bike again

Bridge is nearly finished

I love Tahoe boulders

Where is the trail?

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Awesome shots! Neoprene shoe covers are great, but if you really want to keep your feet warm, invest in a pair of winter shoes. They are much, much better, especially if you are going to be walking through snow like that. After three or four years of going through one pair of shoe covers per year, I invested in a pair of winter shoes last year and couldn't be happier!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.