Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a week ago there was a superbloom so to speak of butterfly's, millions are still flying around Tahoe especially the Angora Burn area which has lots of whitethorn. I heard reports of white thorn being defoliated by caterpillars, then they all hatched.

Been so fun zooming around the trails in clouds of these things flying around, not sure how much longer it will last, seen lots in the Luther pass area also.

Invertebrate Insect Arthropod Pollinator Butterfly

Link to news article
Millions of butterflies in Lake Tahoe: "Phenomenal Eruption" | South Lake Tahoe - SouthTahoeNow.com

Little video today coming down the fireroad from Marlette peak TRT to link up Chimney beach today.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
That is pretty cool. The superbloom affects so many species.

Was riding the local trail and saw 4 groups of turkeys, more than 12 per group. So many youngins. More to eat, more survive.

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
There were flocks of them on the Rim trail at Freel Meadows (just north of Toads) last week. And it was buzzing with grasshoppers. I don't know how long the flutterbyes will hang around, but the wildflowers were just starting to peak.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Yup, been coming across them in the north lake (Incline Village) area for over a week now. Sad thing is that these clouds migrate down to the road where you see tons of carnage from them (bodies littering the road). Rode Mt. Rose to Marlette on Sunday and there were TONS out wherever there was water on/near the trail. Especially on the way down Tunnel Creek Rd. to the shop.

Now if whomever was responsible for the parking for the bike/walking path to Sand Harbor would be shot and get their *(&^ together because they have COMPLETELY #$%*ed parking for Tunnel Creek.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Insects rule! Especially cockroaches! Ugh.

Been finding a lot of praying mantises at work lately. I love those things- you can pick them up, and they examine you with their serious eyes, cocking their heads like, wtf, man?

·
Registered
88 Posts
To read about and/or watch a video is cool. To witness first hand really puts you (well, at least me) in a happy place. I rode Big Chief via Sawtooth today and on both sides of the Sawtooth loop they were fluttering along/getting out of way. Funny, when a fly or what not smacks my cheek I get annoyed but when a couple of the butterflies did the same today I wasn't bothered. Sadly, I now realize I play insect favorites...

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
To read about and/or watch a video is cool. To witness first hand really puts you (well, at least me) in a happy place. I rode Big Chief via Sawtooth today and on both sides of the Sawtooth loop they were fluttering along/getting out of way. Funny, when a fly or what not smacks my cheek I get annoyed but when a couple of the butterflies did the same today I wasn't bothered. Sadly, I now realize I play insect favorites...
Butterfly kisses!

https://images.app.goo.gl/XpP697Fg1yUvKSt67

·
Paper or plastic?
10,593 Posts
Right. The Mazzey's are off the hook! But most annoying was the rider who poached the TRT through Mt. Rose wilderness area. A pretty ballsy move IMO
Are you afraid that the feds are gonna close wilderness to bikes? ;)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sure beats the Yellow Jacket super bloom from a few seasons ago! That was rough!

My kids were going nuts with all the butterflies in Donner week before last. Really fun!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Dang, I went from Stagecoach over Freel Peak to Armstrong on the TRT on Sunday, and only saw a few butterflies. Was hoping to see many more. No mosquitoes that I noticed during the day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.