Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about a trip to Norcal in early November. Would like to do the Downieville downhill and the Flume at Tahoe amoung other trails. Is November too late? Am I likely to encounter snow or storms?

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Varies from year to year

telebiker said:
Thinking about a trip to Norcal in early November. Would like to do the Downieville downhill and the Flume at Tahoe amoung other trails. Is November too late? Am I likely to encounter snow or storms?
I did Downieville last Nov.19th and it was quite warm. And I did the high country at Tahoe on Oct. 22. But every year is different. To be safe I'd try to go by mid October. Just make sure to pay attention to the weather forecasts and be prepared for bad weather, particularly at Tahoe.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Yeah, November is really chancy and unpredictable, other than the days are most likely to be cold (and will be short.) Summer really ends with the fall equinox at higher elevations in the Sierra. If you were planning a trip looking for fall color, my advice would be to hit Tahoe early in October. I did that a few years ago and the weather was beautiful, although nippy at night. but folks at the campground told me it had snowed that same weekend the previous year

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
Chances are you wouldn't hit snow, but you never know. Higher potential of snow at Flume than Downieville, I think.

Downieville does have some lower altitude stuff (like North Yuba Trail), that are probably rideable year round. The shuttles likely won't be running then, so prepare to self-shuttle or to make a loop out of it.

I did Downieville on the day after Thanksgiving about 7 or 8 years back. No snow, but we did get rained on.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
telebiker said:
Surely someone with a name of telebiker remembers 4 ft of snow in October a couple years ago :)

My all time favorite non-skiing trip to Tahoe was backpacking in November 3 or 4 years ago and climbing Pyramid and Agassiz. Perfect conditions for biking but we were on foot.

In other words, you'll probably have to wait and see...

-slide

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.