Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
G4VNJ said:
so thats the catch then....weight!
Not completely. 5.5 pounds for bare wheels, no cassette, tubes, etc. Not horrible, bur not unreal. The real catch is that the spokes have ALOT of open space between them, which invites branches. More spokes on a wheel means better deflection. The other part of that issue is that if you break a spoke, the wheel is junk. No warranty on trail-caused damage, they just discount a replacement purchase.

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
It still looks like a beast wheelset. I'd get them if the pricetag wasn't so high.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Barkleyfan said:
Not completely. 5.5 pounds for bare wheels, no cassette, tubes, etc. Not horrible, bur not unreal. .
Actually, it's more like 8.2lbs for both wheels front and rear, which is f*cking heavy. :thumbsup:

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
RED5 said:
Actually, it's more like 8.2lbs for both wheels front and rear, which is f*cking heavy. :thumbsup:
Yeah, for the freeride ones. I assumed he was looking at the 3 spoke All Mountian wheels.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Besides the fact they're heavy, or invite branches (hadn't heard that one), they're freaking fugly!

·
I have new balls
135 Posts
they come and go in cycles, about ten years ago the rage was spin and spinergy wheels, ten years before that it was a 26 inch skyway. what next? just get some good hand built wheels.

·
Registered
552 Posts
for the price you pay for those wheels.... forget them! You could have a better pair of wheels built up that will last longer, perform better and weigh a whole lot less at a better price. But if you just want to look cool and have everyone ogling over your wheelset then waste your money
$799.00 is much better then what they were priced a year or two ago which was around $1200.00 I believe. But that much cash for a wheelset that weighs so much w/ so many conditions required for a warranty/replacement.... forget it!

But good luck on your wheel choice

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
if they're indestructible, why is there a 'freeride' version?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
On the plus side
They are perfect for freeride dh parks as they are near impossible to break. Plattekill has them on two of their dh bikes and the mechanic told me he has no problems with them. The internals I believe are the same as DTs 440 hub.

On the down side
They are heavy and expensive. They cannot be trued and are not as straight and balanced as a properly made wheel.

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
way-no said:
they come and go in cycles, about ten years ago the rage was spin and spinergy wheels, ten years before that it was a 26 inch skyway. what next? just get some good hand built wheels.
How about a plastic/polymer wheel held together with some sort of cord laced and under "tension"?

Oh wait, that's already been done. :D

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
singletrackin said:
Nothing is indestructible.
I don't want to go all nerd but somethings are indestructable:rolleyes: ... as for those wheels:D ... lets try it holding up to a nuke!:p A little extreme, but I'd like to see how long they could hold up or what it takes to break. :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts