Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thru Axle rigid fork on a 29er? Do anything for you, besides look cool:skep:

I noticed one on the waltworks site.

My thoughts, a rigid fork is plenty stiff laterally, is this excessive?

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
I think it's kind of badass looking. Functionally, with the right builder and materials it could probably allow for a lighter fork because the through axel would help stiffen it up. Just a thought and I could be wrong about that.

For someone who's other bike has a WB thru axel or a Maverick thru axel you could swap wheels between the two bikes with ease making it somewhat pratical if no other real advantage exists.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
snowdrifter said:
Thru Axle rigid fork on a 29er? Do anything for you, besides look cool:skep:

I noticed one on the waltworks site.

My thoughts, a rigid fork is plenty stiff laterally, is this excessive?
It's pisgahproductions' fork. He breaks things.
For him it is not excessive.
He can swap wheels between his WB thru-axle and his WW.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
I spoke with James at Black Sheep just last week about this T/A rigid fork issue. He was ok with building it around a RS Maxle, way cool! His normal steel fork price is $250 and with a few braze ons for racks and fenders along with the Maxle setup he quoted me around $300.

Since this is a do it all kind of fork I'm thinking of, I think the T/A setup would be ideal for fully loaded touring. Besides that, I am on a "no more spindley 5mm QRs on any of my MTBs ever again" program. I hope to not have to resort to a 9mm skewer/axle setup in regular QR dropouts either, but I admit I may have to go that route at some point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.