Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't got my Trance 3 yet, so I really shouldn't pre-judge the DUKE-XC fork it's coming with - but I can't help it. I found this nice little beaut http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=722 at CBO for only $299 Do you think that if I ghot it and got it set at the 120mm /4.75" setting it would change the head angle to much to make climbing not so "comfy" as with using a 100mm / 4" travel fork? I'm thinking it would not relax it to much and would definitely make the bike more enjoyable for DH. Plus the RED would look pretty sweet against the Silver T3 frame :D also at that price it's a steal, right? :confused:

Crap there's even one offered for $249 @ the 120mm setting :D

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I don't think it would be that much of an upgrade really. For an upgraded fork look for something that has adjustable travel, like a Talas, or even if you found a Black w/ the RTWD, that way it would be better for climbing in the 90mm setting, then funner than oem too for hittin' the steeps in the 125mm setting!! I wouldn't spend my money on anything else, otherwise you might regret it. ;) Don't buy it just because of the color, and don't let the bargain fool you. If you can't afford a fork right away, just ride the Duke for awhile, they really aren't that bad of a fork, what is it, 30mm stanchions, so it's the same as a Black, then either if something happens to the Duke, or when you save up enough mula, pick up a real nice adj. travel fork, and it will make your Trance just that much more versatile.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
BikeSATORI said:
I don't think it would be that much of an upgrade really. For an upgraded fork look for something that has adjustable travel, like a Talas, or even if you found a Black w/ the RTWD, that way it would be better for climbing in the 90mm setting, then funner than oem too for hittin' the steeps in the 125mm setting!! I wouldn't spend my money on anything else, otherwise you might regret it. ;) Don't buy it just because of the color, and don't let the bargain fool you. If you can't afford a fork right away, just ride the Duke for awhile, they really aren't that bad of a fork, what is it, 30mm stanchions, so it's the same as a Black, then either if something happens to the Duke, or when you save up enough mula, pick up a real nice adj. travel fork, and it will make your Trance just that much more versatile.
Well I was thinking along the lines of the BLACK having lock-out and the extra 20mm travel as an upgrade over the DUKE and that I could always sell the DUKE or use it on my other bike(s). For the price I though it would be a good move and the colour was just an extra incentive. I'll try to see what I find with adjustable travel, if there's any deals. Thanks for the reply.

Well guess it was late and I didn't see this gem http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=6114 Manitou BLACK Super '05 w/ RTWD 90-120mm $399

1 - 4 of 4 Posts