Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a T handle hex set. Looking I know Park makes good tool and Craftsmans makes good tools too. Both are about the same price. The park comes with a 2mm hex key. The craftsman starts at a 2.5 not a 2mm. Do many of use use the 2mm key? Which set would be a better but since they cost about the same?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
T handles are nice for some applications, but not all (like for bolts on seatpost clamps). Picking a size range depends on the components you have on your bike(s), pick one that suits your purposes.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
i'd choose neither. i like Pedro's P-handles. Park's feel cheap in my hands, and the Craftsman Ts are too big. however, i hardly use them. i prefer L wrenches. as a matter of fact, the only time i use a P or T handle is when i'm adjusting the STI lever position on a road bike.

outside of some centering bolts on road brake calipers, i can't think of any time i'd actually use a 2mm hex. maybe some suspension set screws?

·
Registered
133 Posts
We've had the same set of T-handle allens at the shop made by Bondhus for well over 6 years, and they're still completly in tact, no rounding off. And we also have a set of Park tool T-handles bought around the same time, and we have to cut the ends off to get a fresh allen end since they round off a bit easier. I think it's just Bondhus.com or something, but they make really nice tools, and the screwdriver handle ball driver end allen set they make is really nice too. Pretty cheap actually.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Demonsmasher said:
I'm looking at getting a T handle hex set. Looking I know Park makes good tool and Craftsmans makes good tools too. Both are about the same price. The park comes with a 2mm hex key. The craftsman starts at a 2.5 not a 2mm. Do many of use use the 2mm key? Which set would be a better but since they cost about the same?
regarding the 2mm hex... some set screws are that size. eg- brake reach adjusters or for the old school folks (or cyclocrossers), canti brake cable straddle hangers like the avid tri-dangle. I don't recall if my avid brake levers are 2 or 2.5mm.

if I were to spend some 'big bucks' on a t-handle set, I'd go with pedros, but I've been getting along fine with the regular L-handle bondaus/ball end ones from places like harbor freight for like ~$5/set.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think i have a few bolts that use 2mm. the real small sizes are also useful for picking stuff out of small places, poking through things, etc. As for the brand, I wouldn't buy park or craftsman. i use the nashbar set which has 2, 2,5, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8, and 10mm sizes. I honestly don't think i have ever needed another size except for T25 (which is sold separately from nashbar) ,and the customary allens i have around for walmart bikes...

link : http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Hex Keys

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you can find the plain T-handles from Beta you'll never go back.

Marzocchi re-sold them in the US years ago. Not the plastic ends, or the sliding T, just the plain and solid ones.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hop on google and do a search for PB Baumann. They are a swiss manufacturing company. Hex keys and screwdriver tips are their main products. I traded my Snap On hex keys for them some years ago. They have a lifetime warranty and I have always found the service to be fantastic.

·
B****es!
40 Posts
Another vote for PB Baumann

If you are looking for hex wrenches, some of the finest are the PB Baumann hex sets. I worked for a Japanese company that produced sheet metal manufacturing equipment, and the workers assembling these quality machines were using the Swiss made PB Baumann tools. They are made of spring steel, heat treated for strength, and have a nice chrome finish to last a lifetime. I like the long ones as you can break free any bolt with these tools. You can check them out at...

http://www.pbbaumann.com

Attachments

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
the Inbred said:
outside of some centering bolts on road brake calipers, i can't think of any time i'd actually use a 2mm hex. maybe some suspension set screws?
I just installed a set of Crank Bros 50/50 pedals, you need a 2mm for the plate mounting bolts and for all the little grip studs. Friggin' things are a nuisance: 16 bolts per pedal to change the plate kit. It took me like half an hour to install them, working in an unheated garage when it's 40 below outside. Numb fingers and teeny-tiny bolts, not a good combination...

Regards,
Anthony

·
Registered
297 Posts
Konnichiwa! said:
If you are looking for hex wrenches, some of the finest are the PB Baumann hex sets. I worked for a Japanese company that produced sheet metal manufacturing equipment, and the workers assembling these quality machines were using the Swiss made PB Baumann tools. They are made of spring steel, heat treated for strength, and have a nice chrome finish to last a lifetime. I like the long ones as you can break free any bolt with these tools. You can check them out at...

http://www.pbbaumann.com
Ok, just checked out PB's site and I must say THIS is the set to get!

·
Registered
113 Posts
romar said:
Ok, just checked out PB's site and I must say THIS is the set to get!
I have turned in to a tool a holic last few months and have built quite the workshop since this fall. I ended up color coding my wrenches similar to Sheldon's Brown system and have to say it works great.

The way they color code the hex wrenchs is different, so it doesnt help me. But if your starting a color coding system after a while it really makes it easier to pick out the tools you need at a quick glance. It seems geeky at first, but once you get used to it you love it.

I was thinking about picking up a regular set, but just cant bring myself to pay $35 for a set of hex wrenches, I use the pedro's wrenches the most and these would just be back up's..

·
B****es!
40 Posts
Ahhh...the dreaded tool-a-holic spell. I too am a victim of this.

I've seen a set of these tools well used and abused (like used with a cheater bar), and they still looked in great shape. Although the craftsman convenience is nice, the qualities of these tools, durability, and special features (extra length, colors) are worth it, imho.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Craftsman Convenience

Konnichiwa posted
Although the craftsman convenience is nice, the qualities of these tools, durability, and special features (extra length, colors) are worth it, imho.
PB are the go. Their Hex keys are not an addition to their line, or a rebranded cheapy. That is their line. Its what they do!

tsacain reckons
I would just go craftsman.... If you round them off of break one they will replace it no questions if you take the tool to the store.
And when you're blood is dripping down your fingers, and pieces of your skin decorate the cassette you'll be glad you saved ten bucks!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I know bright shiny colours are neat, but those aren't T-handles. They arent's shaped like the letter T.

This is a T-handle. I've crawled through the PB site and the tools look super nice, but I can't find a hint of a T.

The plasctic handled ones from Park or Pedro's don't have the same balance as the bare metal ones. These will spin bolts in and out so well you'll think it's a power tool.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Never scrimp on hex tools. I love hearing people like the poster a couple posts above that speaks of what to do with the tool if it rounds off. Well, will Sears help you pull out the damaged bolt because you were using a tool that wore out before it rounded?

Don't scrimp. I've used all sorts of hexes from Park, Pedro's, PB, Wiha, Craftsman, etc. There is no better hex tool made than Bondhus. Check out their site. Again, no better hex tools made than Bondhus and it's for a very good reason.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.