Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know that Syrens aren't sold anymore but I'm hoping that someone can help me setup my wife's bike a bit better this year. We live up here in Whistler and we both do a lot of park riding.

She has a medium Syren with a DHX Air, and a Rockshox Domain 318 u-turn with a soft spring at the moment. It did the job last year, but she was really learning the bike and realistically learning how to ride.

To give those of you an idea of the sort of trails she was riding - she was clearing the jumps on Crank It Up (but still having a good crack at Freight Train, etc) and liked hitting Ho Chi Minh/Angry Pirate/Samurai Pizza Cat/etc. I'd be suprised if she weighed more than 60kg armored up.

Can a DHX Air really work on a Syren? Everyone seems to suggest a coil shock.

I'm considering trying to find a Fox 36 Float/Van/Talas depending on price for the bike too. A Float or a Talas is probably ideal.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. :thumbsup:

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
I don't have a Siren, but I do have a wife that rides a lot and I have helped her set up a lot of different rigs.

I am imagining from your description that her Siren currently has a pretty heavy, stiff front end but is supple and wallows a bit (traditional DHX Air) in mid-travel in the back. Finding a fork that better matches the rear suspension feel is going to be a big help. Replacing the DHX might be a secondary concern, I always thought the Siren felt like a good match for the DHX Air, but that's based on bouncing around in basements.

I would definitely consider an air fork like you are doing. With small, light riders it's important to keep weight down and have a tunable spring. I always suspected that the softest RS spring was still a bit firm for the Lyrik on my wife's Corsair, probably 20-25% sag. I know that Kevin Menard built a bike for his wife and had the same experience with setting up her Boxxer. Sure it works, but not much room to play with different settings. Your girl friend is lighter than both of them.

You could go with a coil shock in the back but I bet a better air shock would be more fun to ride and a heck of a lot easier to set up for a tiny rider. An RP23 or a Monarch would probably ride higher in the travel and be every bit as responsive as the DHX but it would weigh less. Again, I think rear shock replacement sounds like something you should evaluate after you get a better fork on there. Guys always suggest coil this and coil that but I have found that most small folks ride better when they have a light bike they can manual, maneuver and flick rather than having 15% "better" suspension. The coil on Chuky's 250 is her first coil shock and we are already considering going with Vivid Air unless she totally loves it. A 35 lb bike sounds really light for you or me, but for my wife it's 25% of her weight! (and I bet 35lbs is a bit optimistic for your Siren or for Chuky's TR 250 shown below) That's equivalent to a 45 lb bike to me and I don't love riding 45 lb bikes.

JMH

Attachments

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start with the fork and go from there - I can handle that.

Thanks JMH, I really appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ride the Syren with a DHX air and love it, but it is not my dedicated DH bike. It is a freeride trail bike for me. I wouldn't consider a coil because the dhx does the job and I don't have to think about it. I can't comment on how flickable it is with the coil as a result, but I can tell you that with the dhx I have so much more control, flickable ability, and fly much higher than on my dh bike. This season I have the dhx set-up to be stiffer than it has for the past 2 seasons and so far the change feels very significant. My first test of the set-up was LPS/Porcupine in Moab and though I was worried it wouldn't be plush enough I was wrong. The stiffer set-up still took every hit and jump with ease, but also allowed me to flow better because I wasn't wallowing as much between hits. It also allowed me to make every climb that I wanted (though this probably doesn't matter since it is a bike park bike).

My hubby ran a dhx air on his Transition Dirt Bag at the bike park and loved it as well (no problems in 2 seasons and he's 6'3). I think the dhx takes some more work to set-up to how you want it, but it has been worth it to us. I think it is a perfect complement to the Syren, but that is just my opinion.

I can't tell you how it rides on Whistler trails yet, but by the end of the summer she will make an appearance back to her homeland :D

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one - thanks LaBelle.

We bought her a 36 Talas while we were down in Bellingham a few weeks back. Still yet to get it on the bike, but hopefully it'll be a change for the better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts