Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
I looked on the US site for Syntace and there is nothing on there about a recall of the F99, nor did any web searches turn up a recall.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
In English according to Babelfish...

OVER US Products Shop Test & Crash Press comments Riders Events Support back to the news-uebersicht With Syntace nothing is turned under the carpet We recall porches, model Force 99 from first production (code to 45 04) and replace these by the world-wide safest porch of its class We developed and with the fact tightened a new testing method that with some copies of the first production series of the Force 99 of porch after longer use tears can develop. For the occurrence of the phenomenon specified in the specialized jargon shatter crack, gives it essentially three reasons *:
1. The general stress corrosion behavior of aluminum materials.
2. High one and/or to high screw starting torques (tighten without torque wrenches), which link the clamping range up in the result too strongly. These cause so high, permanent tensions over many thousands of hours.
3. The contact with the corrosive medium air, whereby e.g. salts can still accelerate the stress corrosion. Until today us no accident with serious consequences was reported. We see ourselves nevertheless obligated for sake to your security sake to accomplish a freiwilligen recall and exchange. We want that only 100 per cent safe Syntace products is driven, which withstand also the newest tests. We will replace the construction units by an optimized version, which is subject to an improved quality control with the new, further developed test standards. * More to stress corrosion and the test standard find you here.

How do you recognize a Force 99, which must be exchanged? At the production date. They find a production code with four digits in the back on the Force 99-Schaftklemmung between the clamping screws (see picture). This production code sits down together from the calendar week (in the picture fig. "17") and the year (in the picture fig. "03"). That means it that this porch in the calendar week 17 was produced in the year 2003. All Syntace Force 99 with a production date to including 45 04 is concerned (i.e. 45. Calendar week 2004)

Please you use Syntace F99, before the 46. Calendar week were produced 2004, not further. Send back these! How winding it the exchange off? Saw the porches concerned and mailen you us a sharp photo of it, or you send the complete Syntace back Force 99 porches to the Syntace GmbH. Thank beautiful offer With returns of a Force 99 for the kosenlosen change we offer to you as thank beautiful for your postage expenditures and troubles:

The original Syntace torque Tool of 1-20 torque wrenches in formula 1 quality, completely with a sentence more patented Hex plus bit employments (2-8mm, TX25, 1/4 "Snap in owners) to the unique special price of 89, - euro (instead of 141,60 euro). Or Ever a Syntace steering wheel and ever a porch (maximum a steering wheel porch combination per Einsender) after choice. They receive for this 35% deduction on your order. Our careful development, combined with the world-wide singular Syntace VR-3- and Syntace SSM Testverfahren makes it for us possible to offer to each SyntaceFahrer 10 years warranty on all material and manufacturer errors. Without if and however. We would like to thank you for your support cordially and to excuse us for you developed the incommodities.

Do not hesitate yourselves please, under +49 (0) 8634 - 66666 to turn at us. There we are for you. Safety roofridge! It Syntace team Jo Klieber Note: This offer applies only once per sent in porch and only to orders, which are received at the same time together with this return with us. Later orders are excluded from this special price. We ask for it for understanding. Telephone: Mo-Fr continuous of 8:00 18:00 Tel.: +49 (0) 8634-666 66 fax: +49 (0) 8634-63 65 Syntace GmbH dam way 1 83342 Tacherting Germany email: [email protected] Technology in the detail Background knowledge:

Stress corrosion and inspection technique The legendary VR-3 fatigue inspection (picture: Syntace VR-3 test machine, "The talk monsters") With the past Syntace testing method, the VR-3 test machine ("The talk monsters") we can subject the world-wide hardest impact and fatigue loads on steering wheels and porches; the only one which the VR-3 cannot do are the many 1000 hours of the permanent tension in screwing places or quick release fasteners (e.g. at screws, spokes, quick-release fasteners) to examine, from which in the course of the time hair-cracks can result. Materials such as aluminum, even with high-quality surface coating, are subject to a cracking risk during a longer period under permanent tension. The oxygen in air (the name already says it) is unfortunately already alone "sour" thereby, speaks corrosively and with it tear-releasing enough. (the only "solution" would be a use in the vacuum or in an inert gas atmosphere.) Again: The SSM stress corrosion test (picture: SCC Testverfahren on the Salt spray monster) Due to this realization we developed a new Syntace testing method, the "35° intermittent SCC test" in co-operation with Dr. Ing. walter contactor (ehem. leader the abbott vibration resistance and fracture mechanics of the IABG, Ottobrunn). That is a salt spray test under permanent, high tension of all screw connections, which in the new Syntace Saltspray tester one accomplishes. The test equipment with the pointed name Salt spray monster (SSM) exposes our porches during 400 hours alternately a spraying and a drying cycle also to highly corrosive salt spray in one on 35° heated test chamber at 100% air humidity. The Quaelerei in the Syntace SSM chamber exceeds clearly the high tension and aggressive environmental condition arising in the reality, which affect the Biketeile. This procedure is so far singular in the bicycle industry. Similar procedures are used so far by airplane manufacturers and automakers for some few load-bearing construction units. The combination: The world-wide safest porch of its class (picture: Thickens salt crust after 400 hours of hot-damp examination in the Syntace SSM chamber) With the help of the realizations won thereby we developed a changed Syntace porch production procedures as well as point-exact reinforcement at the shank clamp of the Syntace Force 99. And the world-wide singular SCC Testverfahren guarantees you also with solid environmental influences for many years (see picture) the high life span typical for Syntace. The combination of SSM- and VR-3 test stand secures a singular quality level. This so far world-wide singular test methodology makes it for us possible to make the Syntace Force 99 the world-wide safest porch of its class. Of course we use the same testing methods and the know-how won from it immediately for all Syntace porches. Telephone: Mo-Fr continuous of 8:00 18:00 Tel.: +49 (0) 8634-666 66 fax: +49 (0) 8634-63 65 Syntace GmbH dam way 1 83342 Tacherting Germany email: [email protected]

-------------

Note - I'm pretty darn sure that porch is a stem. :)

JmZ

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
I just called Syntace's US office and they said that I was the first one to call about it (He was amazed that I even knew about it, as they had just filed the recall today). He said that there will be a recall starting next week (mine will fall under the recall). The reason is because of the new testing standards that Syntace has adopted that can test long term stresses. He said that they have determined that cracks can develop over the long term. He also said that Syntace is the first company to adopt this test and that other companies stems are showing similar results. Apparantly, only the first production run didn't meet their standards, the rest did and so they said that they will send me out a new stem along with the stuff to send the old stem back. He said that my currrent stem is completely safe to use right now, and he requested that people wait until the recall notice comes out and follow the instructions with it.

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received a copy of the mail that was sent to Syntace USA from the Mex distributor, who also didn't know about the recall, until I gave them the link. They phoned USA distributor and they will replace it.
Syntace USA will contact me and I'll let you know.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Both my stems are 14 04 so I guess that will be under the recall? Hopefully they'll post something soon. I wonder if they'll exchange my 260 model for a 254 instead. Man, one of the stems is still unopened from the package.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I think yours are clear.

Damn, mine's 34 03. Hassle.

The offered deals along with the recall are nice, but they're just making money on those (dealer pricing give or take?). If everyone gets the offered deal, Syntace will be up on this recall action.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
There is a recall...

Synatce has adopted a new testing policy.

Basically ANY F99 will by replaced by Syntace USA and replace with a stem that now comes with a 10 yr warranty.

if Skippy does not post more info later, I will as I get it.

Again Syntace USA any F99 stem with a new one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Syntace Recall INFO!

Hey Dirt Boy you are right we will replace with a new stem that has a 10 year warranty!

Here is a little info for all of you.. more to follow!

Syntace Germany has initiated a recall in Europe. Syntace USA has contacted the CPSC and will be performing a recall in the U.S. according to CPSC protocol. I will post more when official information becomes available. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday of next week. Also, we will be contacting as many people personally as possible.

Sorry for any inconvienince, but we want to be sure that you are all on the best prodcut out there! More about the new tests and what we hope to make a NEW international standard will follow soon!!

Thanks Guys
Skippy

QUOTE=DIRT BOY]Synatce has adopted a new testing policy.

Basically ANY F99 will by replaced by Syntace USA and replace with a stem that now comes with a 10 yr warranty.

if Skippy does not post more info later, I will as I get it.

Again Syntace USA any F99 stem with a new one.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
796 Posts
So will Canadian owners deal directly with Syntace USA? Also, instead of having to send the stems in, can we simply send an email including our address and a clear photo of a sawed F99 showing the date of production (before 46/04) as Syntace in Germany has proposed?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Syntace

HEy EuroRider,

You guys will deal directly with the US office. At this time we are not sure if we will be able to accept the picture as proof. We have to deal with the US Government on this one. We will have more info for all of you come early next week.

Thank

eurorider said:
So will Canadian owners deal directly with Syntace USA? Also, instead of having to send the stems in, can we simply send an email including our address and a clear photo of a sawed F99 showing the date of production (before 46/04) as Syntace in Germany has proposed?

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Skip said:
Syntace Germany has initiated a recall in Europe. Syntace USA has contacted the CPSC and will be performing a recall in the U.S. according to CPSC protocol. I will post more when official information becomes available. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday of next week. Also, we will be contacting as many people personally as possible.

Sorry for any inconvienince, but we want to be sure that you are all on the best prodcut out there! More about the new tests and what we hope to make a NEW international standard will follow soon!!

Thanks Guys
Skippy
Lol...Hey Skippy, I think that was you I talked to on the phone for my previous post......

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Thanks for keeping us posted Skip. I have 2 Stems (1 road and 1 Mtn) that need to be swapped out.

Skip, I also sent you a PM about another Syntace question.

·
Registered
970 Posts
any ideas for users of f99's in australia. there's no importer here, most people have gotten them from the US. will we be dealing with the US office? if so, please accept the photo of a sawed stem, postage will be a killer otherwise.

how bad is it just to keep the stem. mine is pre 45/04 but i've only ridden it about 15 times, it's only a couple of months old.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.