Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
posting here since weight IS an issue but with a sensible eye on strenght: Need a long post, light 'enough' (well under 300 grms?) with some setback, that holds up to general trail riding, my weight is incl. gear 165-167lbs. I wonder if anything lighter than the Thomson setback is out there, fitting that description. So far I've come up with the Syntace P6. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. I hear great things about the Syntace stuff. How much seatpost is exposed on your ride? Do you ride smooth XC/fire roads or also technical/AM? My seatpost will be around 300mm out of the frame.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
schotter said:
thanks. I hear great things about the Syntace stuff. How much seatpost is exposed on your ride? Do you ride smooth XC/fire roads or also technical/AM? My seatpost will be around 300mm out of the frame.
I'd say about 270mm is exposed, All Mtn mostly, Clyde.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've got a Syntace P6 on my Mojo and no complaints so far. I've used Syntace handlebars and stems for years and all has been quality stuff.

My P6 weighs 230 g (size 400*31.6 mm) and my riding is reasonably technical trail-riding.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
urgh...just back from a bike shop where I picked up some other stuff and I was offered a good deal on a NC-17 Empire Super Pro II which was supposed to be 285 Gramm / 31,6 (manufacturer website). Back home I put my 27,2 on a scale and it turned out to be 310+grms...will probably return it ond go for a P6...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems they generally have a reputation for a good strength to weight ratio. I ordered a Dura Flite bar, will get the P6 and eyeing one of their stems...
Another P6 question: Does it flex a little? I rode my Thomson Elite today on my hardtail and it is crazy stiff, would love to go with a little more comfort.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
The Race Face Next SL is supposed to be 230g for the 27.2 400 mm size. It might creak and that weight might be slightly off. Rockyuphill has one and likes it better than aluminum posts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Thomson felt like no flex at all at 27-29cm out of the frame. The saddle rails flex a little. There's also the Cannondale S.A.V.E. seatpost (is it available?) and the Specialized Pave. They are meant to flex more actively but I have not come across any independent tests on durability...

·
Live Free or Ride!
604 Posts
I would recommend the Thomson. Absolutely bombproof. Never heard of any issues with them. They look amazing. They might weigh a little bit more then some of the carbon posts available but to me this is one component I do not want to fail.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know of the quality. All of my suspension bikes the last years had Thomson posts and I would not hesitate if it were not a hardtail. It's not so much the weight (my Elite laid back seatpost is a bearable +/-295grms), they are too stiff.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yup, I will. Thanks everyone, would have never thought that I would direct so much attention to a seatpost...but on a hardtail and with that amount of seatpost exposure it seems to become more of a real 'component' than I thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.