Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Formerly of Kent
12,410 Posts
I have to ask:

Why bother with a FlatForce if you're going to run spacers under it?

It's meant to be the used to achieve more drop; you could use a regular stem with less spacers to do the same.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Perhaps because he/she wants to experiment with bar height before hacking the steerer tube down? Although I would have just done that by putting the spacers on top of the stem.

It isn't a bad idea to leave a little extra steerer tube for when you go to sell the fork.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,410 Posts
If that was his/her intent, he/she could just leave spacers/steerer on TOP of the stem. Right now, it doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even with the spacers it still drops the position of the handlebars.the way its spaced now It just barely clears the frame when the bars are turned all the way left or right. It used to be about 12 mm higher.

·
Registered
14,128 Posts
He's been riding with his bars at a certain height.
The stem drops the bars a lot. But moving down in steps is what most would do. Sooo... the spacers are what everyone would do when initially when putting it on.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Never understood negative stems with riser bars and a lot of spacers under the stem.
Generally speaking.

Edit: flow rims, a dropper post and your excited about saving a few grams in the stem?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eventually I'll get a syntace carbon vector low 5 to complete my cockpit.

Lol I am excited about the flow rims, Hadley hubs, the dropper post and of course the 140mm pike up front. But I just wanted to make a thread for the flatforce stem. In case anyone was curious about it

·
Registered
401 Posts
That Flat force stem is cool and looks great.Thanks for the photos!

·
Trail Ninja
6,171 Posts
You got a deal at $80. I'm in the market for a 50mm or shorter stem. I didn't want to pay more than $60 and it's hard to find something of that quality. I don't want a second hand Thomson or some other CNC stem, unless it's a Renthal Duo. The Megaforce 2 and Flatforce interested me most, but I remember the Mega being on sale on eBikeStop for under $60, hence my price point. Haven't seen the Flatforce as cheap as $80. Would open some 29er options for me, such as more travel up front. The Syncros FRIC looked pretty interesting, but dunno their stance since being bought out by Scott away from Ritchey. Ritchey's Trail WCS bolt heads seem a little inconvenient, but I really like their quality.

I assume the Flatforce doesn't angle downward enough that a longer version of it gets the bar any lower than a shorter one would, correct? I wonder if a slammed 44mm Flatforce would hit the top tube on some bikes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can't besmirch the OP since I did the same thing when trying out what rise I like. Went from a 0 deg 90mm stem, to a -10deg 90mm stem, and now settled on a +6 80mm stem. All was paried with a EC70 low rise 20mm bar.

The -10 looked cool because it was pretty much level, but agree it defeated the point of the riser. I think risers tend to be stiffer then flat bars which is one reason to use them, regardless of the stem they are paired with.

I am also of the opinon that you buy good stuff.... so my 2-ride experiment on a -10deg stem was on a carbon fiber Shimano PRO stem.... oh well.

To be honest, I feel way better on my +6 80mm stem,.... and I ended up thinking it looks really great also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts