Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RECALL NOTICE

At Syntace we don't hide anything…
We are recalling stems, model Force 99 - from the first production run, up to production code 45.04, and will replace them with the probably safest stem in its class.
Syntace has developed a new testing procedure and found that after prolonged use, a few of the Force 99 stems (from these first production runs) can develop cracks. There are three reasons for this phenomenon, called "stress cracks" in technical lingo:
1. General stress corrosion of aluminum materials
2. Over-torquing bolts (by not using a torque wrench), which can preload the clamp area too much-- causing high, permanent tension stress for thousands of hours.
3. Contact with a corrosive, such as air which contains salts, possibly accelerating stress corrosion.
Currently, we have no knowledge of accidents with serious injury from this problem. Nevertheless, with your safety in mind, we wish to perform a voluntary recall and exchange. Our goal is to only have100% safe Syntace products in use.

We will replace affected parts with an optimized version that has been subjected to improved quality controls and new, improved testing standards.
*more about stress crack corrosion and the testing standards on page three.

How do you recognize a Force 99 for exchange?
The production date will identify if your stem is included in the recall. You will find a 4-digit production code in the rear of the clamp between the two clamping screws (see picture). The production code is comprised of the calendar week (17 in the picture) and the year ('03 in the picture). This means that the stem in the picture has been produced in week 17 of 2003.
Subject are all Syntace Force 99 without marking or with a production date 01 03 up to and including 45 04 (45th calendar week 2004)
Please discontinue use of all Syntace F99 that have been manufactured before calendar week 46, 2004 and send them back!

Syntace USA-1902 Miller Drive-Olney, IL 62450-800.448.3876 ext. [email protected]

How does the recall work?
1. This letter is to inform you of the F99 recall.
2. Please check any F99 Stems you have to see if they are affected by this recall.
3. If you have an affected stem(s) that need to be replaced, please contact us at 800-448-3876 ext 233. (Hours of operation are M-F 8 a.m.-4 p.m.) We will arrange for the replacement of your stem. We are happy to make the recall exchange either through businesses (bicycle dealers or mail order businesses) or with consumers directly. We will give you further information about the procedures of the recall when you contact us.
We will allow either a digital photo of the destroyed stem (for those who wish to take advantage of the "Thank You Offer" below), or we will ask you to return the stem to us (at our expense, of course).

Thank You Offer!!!

As a thank you for your cooperation and any inconvenience this causes you, we want to offer you a one time special.
• Consumers can purchase a Syntace Torque Tool (1-20) and Bit Kit for the special price of $150. Dealers can purchase the set for $135. Ownership of these tools will help insure correct installation of the F99 as well as other bicycle components (especially those made of carbon fiber).
• Consumers or dealers can purchase an additional F99 Stem of any size or diameter for $33. MSRP is $90. We want you to have an extra of the safest stem in this weight class!!!
Syntace consumers who want to make use of our "Thank You Offer" can take advantage of simplified handling. A digital photo of an affected stem (sawed in half) with a good visible production code, will be sufficient for receipt of a replacement stem.
Your new replacement Syntace F99 Stem will have a 10-year warranty!!!
10-year warranty

Our careful engineering, combined with the most unique testing procedures in the world (the Syntace VR-3 and the Syntace SSM) makes it possible for us to offer every Syntace rider a 10-year warranty for all defects in material and workmanship. No questions asked.
We would like to thank you very much for your support and would like to apologize for any inconvenience.

Please do not hesitate to call us at 800-448-3876. We are here for you.
Safety first!

Your Syntace-Team
Syntace USA-1902 Miller Drive-Olney, IL 62450
800.448.3876 ext.
[email protected]

All I can say as a dealer is wow, Syntcae has stepped up to the plate and thier thank you offer is sweet!

If you need more info or you are out of the US and purchased a stem throhg me, please contact me and I can help with any returns.

DIRT BOY

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Wow, that IS nice - a company that CARES! :)

I think most would probably just re-vamp their warranty to say something like "warranty covered except if you actually ride your bike". :rolleyes:

I've never seen you post a recall, DB. Is this their first one? :confused: Pretty good reputation if so. ;)

(p.s. - did you guys get my e-mail? I want toys!)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks

Hey Guys,

DB, thanks for posting the recall info! And yes we do care and we do want you to ride your bike and ride it hard! In doing so we want you on the best product possible....If any of you need anything let me know or you can go through Nino.....What ever is easiest for you guys.

Later
AndrewTO said:

I think most would probably just re-vamp their warranty to say something like "warranty covered except if you actually ride your bike". :rolleyes:

I've never seen you post a recall, DB. Is this their first one? :confused: Pretty good reputation if so. ;)

(p.s. - did you guys get my e-mail? I want toys!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi skip / syntace

i have mailed the address above as I have one of the affected stems - but am UK based. thanks for being so up front about the problem - I look forward to hearing from you guys so i can get back out on the trails without more than the usual OTB-fear!

cheers
steve r.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi skip:

I´m from Spain, and i have a few questions for you:

1.- Where do i have to send my stem? what´s the exact adress?
2.- When will i receive the new one?
3.- Can i buy an extra f99 at 33$ if i don´t want to buy the torque wrench?
4.- Why do you work with Nino? He use to sell taiwanese low quality products without any warranty, i don´t think he is a good image for Syntace and Syntace quality products.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
27 Posts
"can we order a $33 F99 if this is our first syntace purchase?"

LOL - they may be a nice company about recalls, but i would doubt that commercial generosity extends that far!

BTW Malol, Nino seems to have a good reputation on here and appears helpful and courteous, so i would question the usefulness of posting unsubstantiated comments like that on a public forum. Perhaps mail syntace direct if you have specific concerns...otherwise why not give the guy a break? ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
why?

because i buy components all over the world and the one and only problem i have had is with nino stuff and he did not give me my money back or any kind of warrranty?

because he is biased to the components he sells?

because this i a public forum and i can ask skip whatever i want if i do not offend anyone?

do you think i care about the INTERNET REPUTATION of people?

do you want more reasons?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Give It Up !

MaLóL said:
why?

because i buy components all over the world and the one and only problem i have had is with nino stuff and he did not give me my money back or any kind of warrranty?

because he is biased to the components he sells?

because this i a public forum and i can ask skip whatever i want if i do not offend anyone?

do you think i care about the INTERNET REPUTATION of people?

do you want more reasons?
PLEASE GO AWAY!!

Didn't you just get reinstated ( 24 posts) or some thing like that for all of your previous BS!

My be they(MTBR) should revoke your internet pass ( until if ever, you can learn to play with others)on a permanent bases??

For all the threads I read that Nino offered his input he very helpful and In my opinion goes out of his way to be considerate to all.

So please PM Nino with your wasted comments and save the threads for useful feedback if you can!

·
Registered
34 Posts
there was a note on syntace website a weeks ago:

they were going to update their logistic software or something like that between the end of december and the beginning of january. They said please not to send them stem in these days, so maybe they can not answer mails by the moment.

I have the moral obligation of warm everyone else what i think it´s fair and what is not and i´m free to do it. Tell nino to give me back my money, or if you want Spin, send these € from your pocket to me. If not, shut your mouth please.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,826 Posts
AndrewTO said:
What would be even cooler would be a company that does product testing before the products are available to the consumer....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jayem said:
What would be even cooler would be a company that does product testing before the products are available to the consumer....
Even cooler yet would be a company that not only does that, but also refines its test procedure in the light of new information, and then retests their old products to ensure they comply, and then provides free replacements with 10 year warranties for products which are already beyond the industry standard lifespan.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
OMG, I just called the number. The process is so easy. They ship the new stem out on an honor system. You send in your old stem in the included postage paid envelope when your new stem arrives. I like Syntace.

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
MaLóL said:
Tell nino to give me back my money, or if you want Spin, send these € from your pocket to me. If not, shut your mouth please.
How much monies we talking here MaLóL? For all the wimpering you have done in the past we can probably do a collection on MTBR to make you quiet down. Mind you if that occured we would have nothing to laugh at...... :p

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
006_007 said:
How much monies we talking here MaLóL? For all the wimpering you have done in the past we can probably do a collection on MTBR to make you quiet down. Mind you if that occured we would have nothing to laugh at...... :p
Nino, please send this man his money. Can't you see what suffering this is perpetuating on this board. I think his sheer determination and diligence on this issue alone is worth whatever amount of money is in question here. Actually, nix that. If this issue were resolved I would have no reason for checking this forum. Let the saga continue. But Nino, the drama is definitely heightened when you enter the mix. Don't let MaLol's accustations go unchecked- for our benefit at least. Let the good times roll. :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'll start the bids at $1.00 us

006_007 said:
Put me down for the first dollar , this is for a cassette lock ring ??? so Malol if we come up with the $ 8.95 so what ever this small change is will you leave ?? or at least return to lurker status and this from a man who" buys parts from all over the world"

·
MaLóŒ¢*size=
817 Posts
it´s only 3€, it´s not the amount of money, it´s just the way it works.

Showing taiwanese crap as "the best of the best", then you sell a crappy brakes and a lockring made of alu thinner than a steel one...

I will say whatever i feel like in this forum, i´m not going to go for 3 ****ing euros. You don´t deserve me here, but i´ll make you a favour. Cycling is definitely not a yankie sport, you need me here to help you... jajajajajajajajajaj

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.