Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
those quill stems were hot. and the ahead version had the most stupid top cap design ever..
the posts were sexy.. and broke.
thomson ate those two for breakfast w/ the same geometry but better execution. thomson stems follow the same syncros numbers.
i still want the steel cranks. hhhmmmm... nice.
the bar ends were interesting..
all in all, syncros represents an era in mtbiking for me.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Agreed, the steel cranks were awesome

but I wasn't a real fan of the rest of their stuff.
Seatposts with no setback...no thanks...although I did own one for a while since it was the only 30.2mm post I could find w/o using a shim.
The stems looked nice but were too heavy for my taste.

And 2 thumbs down to Thomson while I'm at it. I dont like any of their stuff.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And 2 thumbs down to Thomson while I'm at it. I dont like any of their stuff.[/QUOTE]

really? why? it doesn't warm my heart w/ it's industrial look and parenthood but those things, esp. the seatposts, work like a swiss clock. haven't tried the stems though..

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
colker1 said:
really? why? it doesn't warm my heart w/ it's industrial look and parenthood but those things, esp. the seatposts, work like a swiss clock. haven't tried the stems though..
Same from me. Their seatposts are the best made IMO. I think the laid back version is a bit ugly, but the straight version looks great, is light, and is super strong.

I'm not crazy about their stems. They work fine, and are strong enough, but the looks are not just "okay," and I think I prefer a "standard bolt" stem to the Thomson-style. There are other stems on the market that I think are as good or better than Thomson, unlike the seatpost, where I'm not sure anyone makes one that is as good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
On my brodie climbmax I have an early sycros post(non bonded head) that has worked great for about 15 years. Only problem was that the annodization wore off and I did the oven cleaner thing to it, not so pretty. Also on this bike there is an early sycros quill stem, great stem , "light" for the time a bit of a hassle to centre the bars, but no complaints after 15 years. I think I may still have the packaging for these items someplace.

I had a new generation sycros seatpost (bonded head) on my road bike and swapped it to a thomson with lay back, great post. Ugly but no doubt that it holds securely.

On my current mountain bike(Dekerf Team SL) I have the sycros aluminum forged/machined cranks, a sycros aheadstem(non hinged), a syncros BB(currently in a box waiting for new bearings) and a thomson seatpost. I agree that the stem cap for the ahead stems sucks. When I have to adjust my headset (its a king so not too often) I am really really careful as finding a stem cap is pretty hard. Next stem cap that breaks I'll probably get a thomson.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
colker1 said:
those quill stems were hot. and the ahead version had the most stupid top cap design ever..
thomson ate those two for breakfast w/ the same geometry but better execution. thomson stems follow the same syncros numbers.
i still want the steel cranks. hhhmmmm... nice.
the bar ends were interesting..
I go Syncros. I really like the stuff and is really the only other set of 'vintage' parts I use other than Ringle.

I've got both quill and ahead style stems as well as seatposts on all of my vintage stuff. No problems with any of it. A good combo of strength and weight.

I sold off my Syncros bar ends because they felt lousey.

I've got two complete sets of Syncros Revolution cranks (one mtn, and I think one road). I've not used them yet but I've seen several broken pairs....it might also be why I have two non drive side Revolution crank arms with no mate...
The cranks have really been the hard thing to track down. I think they look cool. I'll have to post pics when I can.

Without realizing it, I run Thomson on my modern rig. Strength/weight/price/looks ratio is unmatched IMO.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Does anyone know what tool you use to install a syncros BB? I bought one a while ago (it was included with some CBRs) and finally have occasion to use it being that it is the size I need and has the adjustable chainline. I've tried my usual shops and emailed the new syncros but no one knew. Syncros gave the following reply:

I have checked as best I can and I apologize that I don't have an answer for you. As you know, Syncros has been under various ownerships until a year ago when we re-booted the company. During the previous ownerships most technical information was 'lost' or not passed on. I cannot locate any info regarding the BB.

I too never had a problem with their seatposts and got some good riding in on one.

Thanks

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
same tools you installed any pre-shimano cartridge style BB with, a pin spanner and lockring wrench.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
laffeaux said:
I'm not crazy about their stems. They work fine, and are strong enough, but the looks are not just "okay,"...
You havnt seen the new 31.8's then. I dont know if they will be making this design for the normal sized stems, but the oversizeds look like many other stems:

Pics courtesy of Green Giant

·
Registered
144 Posts
Syncros/Thomson...

I always like the Syncros parts, (although their service suffered greatly at times). Don't have any cranks but have seatposts, bars, BB, etc.
I did break one seatpost but only after about 10 years. If anyone has a Syncros post in 26.4 that they would like to part with, let me know.

I have not used a lot of Thomson parts, but recently put one of their stems on one of my bikes, and I was very impressed with the construction. Maybe 4 screws is overkill, but as Eric said, the weight/looks/cost/value is good IMO.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Shayne said:
but I wasn't a real fan of the rest of their stuff.
Seatposts with no setback...no thanks...although I did own one for a while since it was the only 30.2mm post I could find w/o using a shim.
The stems looked nice but were too heavy for my taste.

And 2 thumbs down to Thomson while I'm at it. I dont like any of their stuff.

Some bikes need a post with no setback. Like an old Yeti FRO for example with the 71 seat angle. Mine actually comes in more like 70 degrees but that might not be super accurate. Put a laid back post on that and your knees will be up near your elbows. Usually for me I can get the right seating position with either a laid back or no offset post, but some I cant. Depends on the seat rails too though.

As for Syncros stems being heavy, they are actually extremely light. Even lighter than a Ritchey Force by a decent amount. I happened to weigh a few stems when building my "project light" MB-1. They have aluminum bolts throughout including the expander/quill bolt.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
colker1 said:
I've only had three Syncros products, one was a Hardcore 7075 post and one was a pair of Hardcore straight handlebars that both lived a very hard life on a rockhard Cannondale Delta V hardtail for 5 years with no problems under a heavy load (my butt). They both live on fine (with another Clydesdale rider) two years later after I've sold the bike. Even though I have repeatedly recommended replacing the lightweight bars they haven't been and are holding up fine. The other thing was a very cool t-shirt with a gnarled tree trunk morphing into a man. That lasted a long time too. I'm hearing some good reports about the new Ritchey/Syncros products now coming on the market.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
Does anyone know what tool you use to install a syncros BB? I bought one a while ago (it was included with some CBRs) and finally have occasion to use it being that it is the size I need and has the adjustable chainline.
The one I have uses a standard shimano cartridge tool to set and adjust the cups. Set the drive side then torque down the non drive side, IIRC, might be the other way around.

As stated earlier, older ones install like an old style BB with pin spanner and lock rings.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
donk said:
The one I have uses a standard shimano cartridge tool to set and adjust the cups. Set the drive side then torque down the non drive side, IIRC, might be the other way around.

As stated earlier, older ones install like an old style BB with pin spanner and lock rings.
Mine is something else I think. It has six evenly spaced holes that look like they would fit a tool. I have the old and the new shimano tools and a phil tool but it's nothing like any of those. It might work with a pin spanner but I would have thought the shop would have caught that. It does have the lock rings so DeeEight probably nailed it. If Syncros didn't have a proprietary six pin tool, then that's gotta be the case.

Thanks all

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rumpfy said:
I've got two complete sets of Syncros Revolution cranks (one mtn, and I think one road).
Ever think about maybe a trade for those road cranks? Any crank you would rather have? How about I swap you for a set of new FSA Carbons?

Russ

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,029 Posts
I loved the Syncros stems and posts. I've got a 12 year old seat post that now lives on my RB-1. I know that a lot of the later version ahead stems came with that horrid plastic top cap, but the three stems I had all had an aluminum top cap...I wish I still had them. I had a few of there hubs too back around '95/'96. Adjustable bearings that ran smoother than Kings. They had a knack for breaking flanges though.

Sean

·
Birdman aka JMJ
1,081 Posts
I've always liked Syncros stuff

colker1 said:
I have a Syncros headset and seatpost on my Litespeed SS bike (frame circa 1992). I had a 1996 AMP Research that I outfitted with a 31.6mm Syncros titanium seatpost.

I've moved an aluminum 27.2mm Syncros seatpost through my last 3 hardtails. One reason is that I have really long legs and feel the need for a longer-than-normal seatpost. Syncros makes long posts, as does Thompson. I've only ever broken 1 Syncros seatpost in 10 years of riding.

I still have a 140mm, 10° Syncros ahead stem that I had listed in the classified a while back. It was going to go on my SS, but I needed something a tad shorter (no surprise there). Still available (hint hint).

My wife likes Thompson stems & seatposts, I prefer Race Face stems & cranksets, and Syncros seatposts.

When I bought the Litespeed frame last year, it had Syncros 175mm cromoly cranks on it. I had the shop remove them - even though they are sweet cranks, I needed 180mm or longer. I'm kicking myself now. The Litespeed frame had Syncros and Grafton stickers on it.

JMJ

Attachments

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I've liked the Syncros stuff I've owned. Stems were nice, but those stupid top caps...uhg. The Seatposts were nice and long, exactly what I needed. I did break one of the bottom brackets though...but it was attached to a Revolution crankset that I loved. Super stiff, and reletively light. Great SS crank. I only wish it was a 180mm. I woulda never sold it.

I do like Thomson stuff though, specifically the stems. You just can' t beat the wieght/price/stiffness/size range offered by them. NO ONE makes anything longer 135mm now it seems. I run a 140 on my Hunter, and thiers is the only one I could find. I've got several of their posts too. They all work admirably well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts