Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. first post.

i recently acquired a near mint 172.5 Syncros crank (un-stickered) but two of the chainring hexbolts and all of the mating nuts were bad. questions:

> were those nuts/bolts custom to Syncros?
> any sources? ... inexpensive if possible.
> were these cranks double rings only? i've never seen a built set.
> can someone post a pic of a driveside arm with chainrings?

i usually ride 175 and i have some other bike purchase costs to offset so in mid-september these may show up on ebay. it'll be a daily internal debate over these next few weeks ... LOL :)

thanks.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hey Joe! Good to see you here. Wish I had your info on the Syncros jobs. I know there are a few other owners here, as well as a few crazed owners-to-be. Someone should be able to help you with some real info. Otherwise, compare the bolts to standard 8mmx.75 chainring bolts. If they're the same pitch, then is it a length issue? SRP makes a few different sizes, if you're in the mood for something fancy, otherwise, that tandem parts website has every conceivable size chainring bolt ever made. Can't seem to find it now...

·
He be a moose too.
2,171 Posts
i recently acquired a near mint 172.5 Syncros crank (un-stickered) but two of the chainring hexbolts and all of the mating nuts were bad. questions:

I don't remember exactly what we used, but I broke one of these bolts recently. My mechanic was able to use a shimano part and it worked fine. I have no idea what he used, but there are compatible parts out there. Dig around the parts bin. I wish could give you specifics, but no can do.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bolts and such

yeah...i had wanted to see if the bolt set i had was original to the crank and wanted to stick to the originals. i may have to fine OTS replacements though.

any one with pics of built up Syncros cranks?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
holden said:
yeah...i had wanted to see if the bolt set i had was original to the crank and wanted to stick to the originals. i may have to fine OTS replacements though.

any one with pics of built up Syncros cranks?
That I can do. While I do have two sets...none are pictured here and they aren't this nice:

·
He be a moose too.
2,171 Posts
misc.

I recently talked to the Syncros folks. I encouraged them to get back into the crank business. I said to them, "Have you guys looked at e-bay and seen what a pair of your 10 year-old Revolution cranks are going for?!

They said that they were aware of it, but he told me that in the process of selling out to GT(?) and whoever else, they had lost all of their product designs. He said they even had to recreate the logos from scratch and were only able to resurrect a single design from the "old days" and that was for a headset (look at: http://www.syncros.com/headsets.htm and you'll see it says that is is the original design). Nothing else survived, so there is no chance they will bring back the Revolution cranks. Shame, ain't it? Maybe this weekend I'll post a picture of my cranks.

It seems that Syncros is being revived in nameplate only. I ride a pre-trek Klein...don't even get me started on that one...

·
artistic...
7,620 Posts
Rumpfy said:
That I can do. While I do have two sets...none are pictured here and they aren't this nice:

THAT crank on a 29er... and i may feel the same lust i was feeling in 92/95.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I have extras of the chain ring bolts and the inners as well. PM me and I'll see if I can't get them out to you. I just moved as well, so I'll have to dig them out of a pile or two, but you'll get them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.