Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sync'r tubeless conversion issues

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  atkrocket 
#1 ·
Had two issues when trying to convert my 2019 Sync'r to tubeless.

1- The seam at the rim was leaking sealant and air. Shaking and bouncing the wheel seemed to resolve it. Is this normal?

2- The Stan's valve stems would leak unless I tightened them with pliers. Hand tight was NOT enough.. Is that normal?

Seems to be holding air now, but I'm worried about what happens when the tires take some big hits on the trails.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes and yes. Remember thought they are listed as "tubless ready". The diamondback rims are still "cheap". So they are made to a lower manufacturing standard. That little space in the pic is where the machine that rolls and bonds the rims, wasn't quite lined up correctly. Not a problem mind you.
And the valve shouldn't need to be tightened that much. The leakage you described is normal. The sealant needs to get into all the little nooks and holes. Don't be surprised if you need to keep adding air, and have little bubbles and drips for a few weeks.
But the best thing you can do is carry some-kind of pump and go for a long ride.

#5 ·
Gorilla tape, gorilla tape, gorilla tape. Did I mention gorilla tape? I've had to tighten Stan's valves a little past hand tight but not super tight. The gorilla tape should get them sealed up and working proper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought the point of having tubeless ready rims is you don't have to gorilla tape them?

Also, the gorilla tape is only on the dish of the rim, correct? IE. where the spokes are, not on the side of the rims.

So basically, the side of the rim will leak no matter what, until the sealant can act?

#6 ·
Tubeless ready rims will have some sort of tape ie; Stan’s, a Stan’s rim strip or some type of house brand tape in order to seal the spoke holes up, this is what mostly makes rims tubeless ready. So wether you use Stan’s, gorilla tape or the house brand tape, it doesn’t matter. Gorilla tape is the best, hands down for sealing up the spoke holes and the crappy seams in the rim. I have a Diamondback Century 4 road bike that had the same issue and the gorilla tape sealed it right up. This is just my 2 cents and experience.

#7 ·
As far as the edges of the rim, if the rim and tire are tubeless, the tire should seal to the rim without sealant. PM me if you need assistance, I love assisting with tubeless setup and have had lots of experience setting tubeless and non-tubeless rims and tires up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.