Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of Elixir CR Mags that out of the box have never given me enough clearance btw the pads and the rotors. No amount of centering fixes it. I push the pads all the way back and let them readjust and they always seem to adjust too close to the pads.

Could this be due to an overfilled system?

If so, suggestions on how to fix it? Go through all the steps of the bleed guide?
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-5015-019-000.pdf

Do have a question about Step 4 F. It says allow the lever to be pushed out. How far?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yup....

sounds like an overfill. But you don't have to go through the whole bleed procedure. It's much simpler than that. First remove the wheel. Then loosen the lever clamp and rotate the master cylinder so that the bleed port is pointing straight up. Next carefully insert a flat bladed screwdriver (or similar tool) between the pads and push the pistons in as fare as they will go, carefully! Now go back up to the MC and open the bleed port. If you have an overfill you should get some fluid coming out. Now go back to the caliper and push the pistons in fully, again carefully, they may not move much at this point so be careful. Go back to the MC and reinstall the bleed port screw. From there remove the rag and clean up any fluid on the lever with a little alcohol and a clean rag. Pull the lever firmly four or five times to readjust the pads and you should be good to go. If not you may need to recenter the caliper again. Repeat for the other brake if needed.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That didn't work though. These brakes are new so I wasn't suspecting a stuck piston but it appears that they both are coming out equally. Tried to get them to loosen up but wasn't successful and will have to get back to it tomorrow. Gladly take tips there as my bag is empty.

Also that E Clip broke. Looking at the quality catalog it appears that the only way to get the eclip is order a BR6832 Elixir caliper service kit. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
you mean the eclip that sanaps onto the pad retainer bolt? yeah they're real easy to lose. I think they come with new brake pads, not sure about that..but when i lost mine I took a twist-tie, stripped off the palstic so you are left with that really thin bendy wire. wrap that around the groove on the bolt, then carefuulty twist it off tight a few times so it stays there. cut off the excess, but leave about 1/4", that should retain the bolt if it loosens (which is unlikely anyway)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey, this sounds similar to my experience with my elixir 5's. Let me re-cap you have had break rub since the beginning? Can you get a piece of paper in between the pad and the rotor? Only one piston really moves in either caliper?
I got my elixir 5's about 4 months ago and they never didn't rub, took it to the lbs i got them installed by and they looked at them a tried to fix about 4 times, took it to another shop and they said warranty them since they where obviously new enough that they should not have these issues. My lbs got avid to warranty just the calipers since they said nothing was wrong with the levers, did this and the problem persisted. Went to a better lbs and they spoke with avid and they are doing a second warranty, sending me a whole new set of 2011 elixir cr's.
The owner of the shop told me that when he spoke to avid they told him the elixirs have a bore/ piston spacing issue that cause's issues and has been fixed in the 2011 model.

IMO take your brakes to the lbs you got them at and have them check them out and ask about a warranty. Despite my experiences with crap components from avid they are great about warrantying the product.

ps, i ride without my e-clip all the time with no problems when i lose it.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
The e-clip(and bolt) comes with new pads.

I am in the same boat as you OP...at a loss as well. I may try to have Avid replace them, when I start at a new shop next month. My rear has worked fine since day one - just issues w/ my front. I love the feel of the brake, but this will be my last set of Avids.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i had issues with my front brake also.its been back and forth from the distributor for about a month!i want them to replace the darn thing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts