Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Signed up to do this 50 miler in Arkansas the first week of May. Going to do it on my rigid ss 29'er. Any of you folks done this ride ss? If so, what gears did you run and any other words of wisdom?

thanks,

d

·
Registered
686 Posts
I did Syllamo last year on a geared bike, but rode alot of the race with the 2nd and 3rd place SS. If my memory serves me correctly they were running 34-18. They were managing most of the hills with that combo, only walking when I was barely moving anyway.
It's a great race, have fun at the start. It's 9/10 of a mile fireroad with a 12% grade, then it's mostly all singletrack:thumbsup:

·
AR SS
15 Posts
SS 29er rear cog choices

Another guy and I ride it SS quite often - following a couple years of riding it geared. I am riding 29er with 32/20. Rode it a couple times 32/18. Really can't tell that much difference in time. 20 just keeps you from walking a couple places, but slows you down on flat areas.

The other guy rides 26" with 32/18 or 32/16 depending on mood mostly

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rivercliff said:
Another guy and I ride it SS quite often - following a couple years of riding it geared. I am riding 29er with 32/20. Rode it a couple times 32/18. Really can't tell that much difference in time. 20 just keeps you from walking a couple places, but slows you down on flat areas.

The other guy rides 26" with 32/18 or 32/16 depending on mood mostly
thanks for the info. is there alot of flat areas, climbs, rock gardens, etc,? i know absolutely nothing about the trail and anything that you can tell me would be very helpful. i am doing the OC for the first time this year. how will syllamos compare to the OC?

thanks again,

d

·
AR SS
15 Posts
I have ridden the Womble trail (on single speed), but have not ridden the rest of the OC race/tour trail. To me, the Womble has some climbs, and lot of bench cut, but nothing as fun and exciting as Syllamo.

Here is my low down of Syllamo - Blue is the most difficult, and most fun. Couple climbs on this that bring me off the bike for a section or two. Orange is very much like the blue - technical, but easier climbs. Green is more flat - has a section of technical that I can't clear if clockwise - much easier CCW. Yellow is fun and fast - it is the part of the trail that connects down to the park and is the first loop you will be on. There is a couple climbs on this that are steep enough that I walk - it's just not worth what it does to your legs on a SS - but they are short climbs. Red is a race track - Not technical and nothing steep.

As far as comparison to OC - go to www.bikearkansas.com click the bulletin board - You will find many riders from the central part of the state that frequent both trails.

For some ideas of the altitude and climbs, go to www.motionbased.com, do a search for syllamo, and you will see where a rider of the Revenge from last year has posted his (or her) GPS tracking of the trail - along with elevation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.