Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Will probably be doing Sycamore Rim loop this weekend for the first time - any suggested TH to start from? What about direction of travel? TIA.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Figured I'd do a little ride report. I meant to bring my camera, but forgot and am really regretting it.

Started out at the TH off of FR 56, just before KA Hill. Rode counter clockwise. This trail is mucho fun. A little bit of everything: steep climb, nice fast and flowy downhill, rocky traverses, short sketchy downhill sections, some hike-a-bike, and beautiful scenery (both vistas and overall terrain). I certainly wouldn't recommend this as a beginner ride as it is quite rocky and even on the flats it can be wheel stopper city. I can see this trail as extremely frustrating to a novice biker. Not sure I'd even recommend it as a destination ride, but if in Williams or doing a few days in the Williams/Flagstaff/Grand Canyon area I'd heartily recommend this trail along with Bill Williams Mountain.

I didn't really know what to expect, and was more than pleasantly surprised with how fun and challenging this ride was. Check it out. All you hardcore epic minded bikers could ride it in the a.m., then hit Bill Williams mountain in the p.m. That would be a very fun day.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,166 Posts
Might have to check it out one winter day.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
Thanks cavscout.

It was your ride report that motivated us to give this trail a go.

We did the ride on 7/22 and the weather was perfect. It was Amy's first mtn bike ride since having baby #2 on Valentine's Day and I wanted it to be something we hadn't done before but something that wasn't too difficult with plenty of foto ops. The trail was a perfect choice. :thumbsup:

·
recovering roadie
606 Posts
Noelg said:
It was your ride report that motivated us to give this trail a go.

We did the ride on 7/22 and the weather was perfect. It was Amy's first mtn bike ride since having baby #2 on Valentine's Day and I wanted it to be something we hadn't done before but something that wasn't too difficult with plenty of foto ops. The trail was a perfect choice. :thumbsup:
What did you do with the baby? My wife and I have one now and find ourselves not riding together....

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
The dingo ate the baby!

Actually it took a lot of planning but we left the baby and our 22-month old son with Grandma & Grandpa in Flag. They had just enough breast milk for 1 feeding so that gave us a 4 hr window to get the ride in.

When we had 1 kid only, I'd pull him in the trailer and we got to ride a lot - just not tight singletrack - after he was about 8-9 mos old. Soldier's Trail at Fort Tuthill in Flag was perfect. We rode a lot on the canals also. But with 2 kids, it's a challenge. I'm sure we'll be back on the canals when she's old enough for the trailer.

We're hoping to do the MMP night ride Saturday since Grandma & Grandpa live in Fountain Hills, we and the kids will just spend the night up there.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.