Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
My "home" trails (where I ride the most). From what I can tell, it burned the lower area from Central which is more popular for hikers than riders (though some ride out from there). 200 acres.

We haven't done any trail work down there yet since the weeds exploded from all the rain, focusing on the south side where we ride most. It's a tinderbox right now, we know this will happen. I'm amazed the homeless haven't started a fire in the south side yet.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
The burning of the overgrowth last year at San Clemente Singletracks was the best possible scenario for our riding pleasure. Too bad all teh rains created even worse overgrowth this years. Sigh...

·
Registered
26 Posts
The burning of the overgrowth last year at San Clemente Singletracks was the best possible scenario for our riding pleasure. Too bad all teh rains created even worse overgrowth this years. Sigh...
Rode there a couple weeks ago and yeah totally got face slashed from all the overgrowth, some trails just straight up disappeared and closed up halfway through...

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Rode Sycamore yesterday. The trails where it burned are actually better now. Went right up to the fenceline where the homes are, including an empty lot next to a home. Good reminder of creating a defensible space, the empty lot was full of growth.

The nature center at the bottom was untouched. Looks like it was the highest risk part that burned, and no real destruction. Benefit of a fire station right across the street...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awesome, glad to hear it's still rideable. Hoping to try it out for the first time tomorrow AM. Sidewalk -- any recommendations on where to start? I'll be riding by myself so hoping to explore a bit. Can't seem to find much on the "where to ride" thread. (could be user-error)

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Sycamore is pretty much a spiderweb network of trails. There's no main trail anywhere. With few exceptions all the trails are super short, and you just link things together. Benefit is, you *almost (almost) can't get yourself into trouble taking the wrong line and ending up in a bad place. So if you see something that looks like singletrack, and it looks potentially interesting, just go. Odds are, it is. General rules of not taking jumps/drops you can't see apply. On occasion, you will run across a sketchy feature, but most are okay or have bypasses. Most of the climbing has a wide, fire road like trail. Most trails are treated bidirectional (even if intended to be downhill) so don't assume you won't see opposing traffic (not much traffic period, really).

You have several options where to start:
Barton trail head off Allesandro. One of the most popular MTB start points. From there I recommend starting off at "Ammo Gulley". You ride across the street past the Jack in the Box and continue straight in to the trails. Little boring here, just bare with me. You keep going straight until you reach the other end of the field where a mega church is. On your left is a fenced in area, it's where they used to store all the munitions for the air Force Base. Follow that fence line around until you reach the highest point. From there you have four trails that start real close together, with a couple options to loop them back up. Called "Ammo Gulley", "Chickenhawk", "Vortex", "Rock Steady", and "Fo Shizzle". At the bottom of Chickenhawk you can continue straight on to "RCI". If you look to the right just before dropping in to RCI there is a big rock garden called "Rock Salad". If you want to session stuff, that's the place to do it. When you are done, head out on Shizzle towards the corner of Meridian and Allesandro where they are constructing the new warehouses. Cross the street and continue straight on the sidewalk until it turns to dirt. Drop in, stay left, and cross the bridge. From there you can explore the spiderweb of trails until you are done, then head back to Barton where you parked.

Parking option 2:
Park at Jensons warehouse. Behind the warehouses is a gate you can carry your bike over (it's okay, no rule breaking here). From there just explore the spiderweb. You can easily access the Ammo Gulley side if you wish still. After the initial service road you can go left to head towards the Allesandro/Meridian intersection, reverse of the directions above (again, trails are treated bi directional). You can go straight across "The ***** stream Crossing" (immediately following the stream is a climb called "The *****", it's optional and nothing to gain from it). At the bottom of the ***** you can go left and try to find "The Plunge" which is a jump area. Or if at the end of the initial service road, before the stream you go right, you can follow that spiderweb of trails.That is the direction where it burned. You can go quite a ways that direction and explore. If you make it all the way down to Central (Ameal Moore Center), just turn around and climb back. There are optional ways to go back up, so you don't have to treat it like an out and back. Just pick a trail and go the right general direction and you're good. See next option below.

Option three. Probably the least popular, but still used. Involves the most climbing (really, not that bad), but also ends on a downhill. Park at Central (Ameal Moore), and start climbing! Just pick a trail and go. If you're adventurous, you can still head to Ammo Gulley (feels like more work than it really is). Or just explore the random web. When you are done, head back in the same general direction of where you started.

*The only area I would avoid is north west of the ***** Stream crossing (except for 9.75). The trails aren't as plentiful that way. And you can bury yourself into a canyon (though, no where as bad as other places!) where you have to do a long climb out. Basically, if it LOOKS like a fireroad descent, it's not taking you anywhere worth while. Even if you head that way, you can bail out into the neighborhood and take the road back. But obviously, that sucks. You only lose cell signal inside the canyons, so you can always look up where you are.

I'll link my last Strava ride in a minute. It covers most of what I just said, so you can get an idea where to go. I did not hit The Plunge or Smokey this time, or a ton of other trails. But gives you an idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.