Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"scared shitless"
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about changing the stock DHX air 5.0 on my SXC for an RP23, since I've read about the RP being better suited for the SXC. is there anybody who has done that before? how big is the difference, if any? with the DHX, the SXC sometimes feels uncomfortable going down fast in a rooty section, the RP is said to be better in such situations.
any thoughts?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I haven't made the change, but I test rode an SXC 70 last year with the DHX Air before building my SXC, and then built up my SXC Canuck with a Push'd RP3, and for my riding I haven't felt I'm giving up anything. The mechanic at my LBS decided that he'd use the RP23 if he were building one for himself again. It's the build they use on the SXC 50, so it isn't a flaky idea by any means. I like the 200gm weight savings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I changed 2,5w oils to my DHX 5.0 and it realy made it better. Especially suspension feels more sensitive on roots and rocky sections. This is cheaper way to get it better than change shock...

·
Registered
757 Posts
I can't tell you much about the difference as I took out the DHX right away. I was running a DHX coil on my previous frame and even there, I liked the RP23 better. So when I got the SXC, I put in the RP23 right away. It got a Push treatmeant and I absolutely love this shock. Suspension couldn't really be better.
It's really sensitive, it doesn't bob much and it sucks up bigger bumps like they weren't there.
The "standard" RP23 was pretty slow, over-damped, but if you can get one from a Rocky I think it should be pretty nice right away.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Something I just noticed today while visiting my LBS, the DHX and RP23 equipped SXC's have different mounting brackets where they attach to the frame. I'm not sure if it's just to provide more clearance for the DHX reservoir to clear the underside of the seat mast, as I also noticed that the different size SXC-30's also have a different bracket height for the RP23's. It was quite a bit of difference for the DHX shock, the mounting bolts was almost 3/4" closer to the frame.

Considering the difference in suspension rate that Kona had on their frames with a similar offset in the shock mount, I wonder what the tuning implications are of the different shock brackets? :skep:

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
That sounds interesting. Did you ask your dealer if those brackets are available as a spare with different ordering numbers?

This is how mine look, on a frame that came with a DHX in 18" size:

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Apparently there is a specific shock plate for each frame size and it is used to get the optimum suspension rate. The shock plate is frame size specific, so a 19" SXC 50 with an RP23 would have the same plate as the 19" SXC 70 with a DHX Air. My LBS seems to know the right guy to call to ask questions. :thumbsup:

There must be specific part numbers but they aren't shown in the 2007 or 2008 tech manual, so they must just be shipped as part of the frame triangle assembly.

I see that the red ano chainring bolt upgrade is popular. :D

There is a SXC in Linkage 2.5, I will have to tinker with the shock position to see what effect that has.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes, well ;) It was more a coincidence I used those. I ordered them for their "normal" purpose, then they came and the color just matched perfectly. I simply had to put them up there.
Great find with those plates btw.! :)

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Radical_53 said:
Yes, well ;) It was more a coincidence I used those. I ordered them for their "normal" purpose, then they came and the color just matched perfectly. I simply had to put them up there.
Great find with those plates btw.! :)
That's the same way I ended up with red bolts, I ordered a set of Ti chainring bolts from Tastynuts but after a few weeks they still couldn't deliver them so I took the red ano ones instead to get the rest of my order moving. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.