Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

My Kona Coiler has been good to mee for the past 4 years. But I feel the time to part has come. Ever since the SXT came out, Ive kinda wanted one. Now it might just happend. Just have the small hurdle of convincing the wife it is a good thing to do;)

Anyhow. Im 5ft 7" (173cm) and have the choice of S or M. The M is closer to my 17" Coiler. Horisontal TT is 1/4" shorter on the SX and seems perfect. But searcing the forum i found some guys 6ft riding M SXTs, which makes mee wonder if I could get away with a S.
Where I live I have to pedal up to go down, and I will drag the bike on the occational epic ride. But primeraly I want the bike to handle close to DH racing conditions. No huge drops, but around 8 ft max, if landing is good. In short a bike for everyting. What size would you recomend?

Also if anyone feels like posting pics of their bikes, with a setup list and weight, it would be much appreciated.

Im not planing on big changes from stock, but the fork must go and my wheels (DMR Revolver, DT comp, XM321) from the Coiler, and some bits will be swapped. On top of the whish list are the 2008, 66ATA or 55ATA. But I need to ride the bike a bit before I decide...

Regards
Andreas, Norway
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you're riding up to go down, and your coiler sizing puts you on a M, you've got a good reason to go M right there. I will say that the seat tube is pretty slack, and that its weird in how that while its interrpted, it also doesn't point stright down to the BB, so I don't know if the SA they list is the effective angle relative to the BB, or the actual. Basically, this factor could make the frame fit slightly longer than the TT would indicate...I think.
You're right that some 6' folks sqeeze onto Ms, but I don't think they're riding up very much. I'm 6'1, with a short torso which helps me ride a smaller frame, and I have to ride an L for sure. I'm riding up too. If I was just going down I guess I would consider an M, but its a moot point.
Btw, I ride a 50mm stem everywhere after starting with a 90mm I had from my old rig, and I also ride with the saddle very very far forward on the rails for pedalling efficiency...made a huuge difference becaue of the SA angle I mentioned.

There's a few great threads with set-ups (I haven't posted yet). I ride an '07 Talas 36, and would recomment the '08 in a heartbeat from all I've read. New damper this year, and of course the traveladjust flick switch works like a dream. Travel creep issues all resolved as of last year. i don't think they've solved the creep issues on the ATA...read up on it.

-kcavt

·
Registered
137 Posts
Medium sounds good for you. I am 5'9 and I've got a medium. Climbs great. Plus it's easier to go a little to big than a little to small. I'de stick with a 160mm fork, 66 SL 160 -180 or a Fox 36. Something light and some descent components will keep it down around 35 lb.'s. Can't beat the bike either way, they are great for everything. Use mine for xc, freeride, and dh.

2006 trail sx 2:
only thing changed are the tires to kenda 2.3 nev's = 35 lb.s
Could easily drop another lb or two.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm 6" 1" and ride a medium. I use it for freeride and DH so yah. Its easier (personally) to do tricks with a smaller bike.

I'd Say get a medium.

·
Registered
654 Posts
here is my bike right from the shop, the day I got it.

I want to upgrade the fork... but it costs so dam much. I'm trying to find a used 66 RVC or RC2X.

Well if you are really concerned about the size go to the LBS and ask to ride the medium and small to see which is better.
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
idaho biker 90 said:
Well if you are really concerned about the size go to the LBS and ask to ride the medium and small to see which is better.
Thanks for good input guys! The problem is my LBS, doesnt stock Specialized. In fact the nearest place which does is about a 16hrs drive away:eek: So a testride is not really an option.
Locking at the numbers, I cant quite work out why some testers claim the bike feels long. The setbac seatpost is one thing, but a straight Thompson should sort that out. The short stem and horisontal TT, works out for a short cocpit. The actual STangle will make it long, if the post is way up there, but Ill be riding it about level with the handlebars, so I think Ill be fine on the M.
Wheelbase is quite long tough, maybe thats why it rides "like a longer bike"?

-Idaho biker 90; is that a M size?

Anyhow, more input is welcome! Any short people like mee out there?

Andreas

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm 184cm, had M size, and for freeride/dh always had the seat as low as it would go. You being over 10cm shorter, I could see the option for S size, too. But since you are looking for all-around bike, maybe the M size would still be ok. I think it would be best if you found some guy that would allow you to test his/her bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im kind of having that problem as well. I dont know if I need a small or medium. Im 5' 6" with a 29.5" inseam. I currently ride a XC pro medium and its a little large but sinces its a XC bike it okay. Mines going to be an all rounder too so I dont know about the size.

·
Registered
654 Posts
idaho biker 90 said:
I'm 6" 1" and ride a medium.
Andreas- I'd say go for the medium. I was skeptic at first cause it was between the large and medium (later i knew that they don't make larges anymore) and so it was the medium. Great choice, its not to small which I like. Its good for maneuvering, DH ect. Its better to have a smaller bike than bigger when going downhill. It's easier to control.

As for TB2007 check out the LBS and see what they have in stock. If they dont have an SXT then ask to try an Enduro. The exact same sizes just a little less cool looking and DH.

Good luck with your finds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm 5'8". I have a medium SXT. I sometimes think that I should have gotten a small (mostly when I'm riding really technical stuff), but the truth is, a medium is built for somebody of my size. I use the bike for all of my riding from all-mountain to downhill, so the medium was right for me. really, the difference that matters here is that the medium has 1inch longer wheelbase (i think), that's not that much. I liked the feel of the medium and love the way my bike rides.

·
dirt visionary
6,509 Posts
Wow I have a medium 06 enduro and a large 07 sx trail both have close to the same top tube measurements but the med enduro has a better standover. I am 5'8". The odd thing is the sx feels smaller than my enduro for some reason.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
idaho biker 90 said:
I'm 6" 1" and ride a medium.
Sorry, missed that one ;)

Anyhow. A friend let me know the 05 has a longer TT than the 06/07 has. Wich is probably the main reason for my insecurity. Ive been reading old tests, and not done my geometryhomework propperly:rolleyes:

All things say, for my kind of riding a medium will bee fine. Wouldnt mind a small for those days riding gravityassisted tough...

So now all that remains, is convincing the wife, this is absolutely necessary :)

Anyone got a good repport saying freeridebikes spontanioussly snap their headtubes in their 5th season, and it could possibly bee leathal riding one beyond 4 years?

Cheers guys!
Hope to join the big S family soon!
Andreas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.