Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 that I built up and have mainly used for DH. However, I am finding that I am doing less DH these days and want to do more trail riding.

Is it worth trying to lighten up my SX Trail (it weighs in the high 30s at the moment), or am I just wasting my time and money?

The obvious areas are the tyres, shock (Fox DHX5 coil) and the forks (RS Lyrik 170 DH), but I could also change the stem and seatpost. The rest of the kit is already fairly AM friendly.

I do still want something that I can use for DH, but that is more pedal and climb friendly.

Or do I just get a new bike? If so, what?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What rims do you have? Rims are the most important part really. I'd suggest you change them to something lighter, buy maybe a Lyrik solo air (160 or 170mm) and buy some air shock for the rear. If you have the money, I'd suggest you to keep the old parts for DH days. You could buy a set of burlier rims with thicker tyres for those days too. If you can't afford to buy and keep parts for two different personalities I'd suggest you sell the bike and buy an Enduro (Evo or non-evo) instead. They are awesome pedallers, are light and you wouldn't lose much dh ability, especially with the Evo.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheels are Spank Subrosa on Hope Bulbs, so they are relatively light and I wouldn't want to go much lighter on the wheels.

I'm not much of a fettler so swapping parts over isn't something I'm too keen on doing.

I was looking at the Enduro, or even the FSR Stumpjumper Comp EVO.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wouldn't look at the Stumpy, I tested it before I bought my Enduro and there's more to lose than what you win by choosing it over the Enduro. Climbability is virtually the same, didn't notice a that big difference and sure, it's lighter too but one kilo or so isn't worth saving when the offroad and downhill capability is that much better with the Enduro.
Besides, you still want to hit downhill trails right?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes, DH is still on the cards. Unfortunately they seem to do the standard Enduro here in the UK, unless it's the S-Works version, so I'd have to get the EVO version.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Your best bet is probably going to be just having two wheelsets......one for true DH riding, and one for trail riding. The SXT frames do kind of span that realm between trail riding and DH but it's not ideal for either. But with a burly wheelset to beat on with wreckless abandon, and a second, significantly lighter one for the climbing days, that's the one component where you'll see the biggest gains. Go ahead and lighten up the bike where you can without losing durability, but you'll never have one build that's great at either discipline.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, the wheels are about as light as I want to make them. The Spank Subrosa rims are strong, but pretty light too. The spokes are decent, double-butted ones too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So basically I've narrowed it down to the following:

Replace Holzfeller stem.
New tyres (the biggest difference) - I am currently running Specialized Clutch SX.
New seatpost and saddle.

I'm already running 1 x 9, so I've saved weight there.

Is this really worth it? lol. I get the feeling that this bike was never really meant for riding uphill.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can get a Enduro EVO, the one with the X-Fusion shocks, bur I suspect that won't be much better than my SX trail.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Never meant for riding uphill, it's a lot of work but manageable. Lighter set of tires would help. Even though it's a teeny bit heavy running a front derailleur, it would still be easier to climb with a granny compared to a 1x9 set up. I also have a 2010 w/ a 1x9 set up that does both trail and dh duties, weighs at the high 30's, probably close to 40lbs, I don't have complaints with the weigh though, as expected with the set up.

·
zombie freerider
152 Posts
Most of my thoughts have been mentioned already but fwiw, I have an sx trail and am doing the 2 wheelsets thing. I actually like the climbing on the sx trail compared to the single pivot before that. My main thought is to not only go for weight (yes the wheels and tires) but get some rubber that rolls really well. That to me makes as big a difference as the weight. Most of my "trail" rides have some good tech spots and jumps in them so I like having a bigger bike for the fun stuff, but ultimately the decision of needing a separate bike is how much trail riding you are doing vs dh and what those trails are like. If you are on smooth, fast terrain on trail days then maybe get a cheap hardtail you can rip around on, then bring out the big gun when you need it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have a hardtail. I might end up doing a few things to lighten my SX Trail (new tyres, seatpost, stem etc) and then just pimp my hardtail with a new wheelset and some 20mm bolt-through forks.

I might even get a titanium spring for the rear shock.

What tyres would you recommend? I'm looking at some WTB Bronson Race 2.3 at the moment, which would save me over 300g per wheel over the Clutch SX tyres on there at the moment.

Thanks for the input folks.

Any other thoughts would be welcome though :thumbsup:

Although a new bike is very tempting :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I took my SXT out for a proper ride today, with climbing 'n' all, for the first time ever (only been used for DH before), and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it was a bit laborious at times on the ups, but the performance otherwise more than made up for it.

The thing that really surprised me was how spritely it was on flowing singletrack and flat sections of trail: I could just pedal and feel my speed shoot up. This bike just eats berms for breakfast.

I am going to continue trying to lighten it a bit, although I think the only components that are going to give me any kind of usable weight reduction is the forks and the shock.

I may look into replacing the 170 coil Lyrik with the air version (assuming there is a weight advantage to be had - I haven't looked yet), and swapping the spring on the Fox shock for a titanium one (anyone know how much lighter they are?).

Tyres: I whacked on a pair of single-ply High Rollers (Super Tacky front, Maxxpro rear) , but I have some 2.2 Rubber Queens (a.k.a. Trail Kings, I think - yes, I know, us Brits are weird) on order which are lighter still. However, my last experience with RQs was not that great, so i may end up putting the HRs back on. I don't really think I gave the RQs a chance last time, hence why I'm trying them again.

Th-th-th-th-thats all folks!!!...... for now.

·
zombie freerider
152 Posts
Hey mikey74, good to hear that you liked the SXT for trails n such. Yeah it might suck at times if you're trying to keep up with some xc racer buddies...

I personally like the RQ tires as they offer good grip and roll decent (I've only done the 2.4s). Schwalbe also has some good offerings like the nobby nic and hans dampf.

Another thing I thought of that could be more beneficial than trying to lighten things up is to get a dropper post. Pedaling efficiency is so much more helpful than shaving a few grams here and there and is worth the added weight if you're in rolling terrain. I was surprised how much difference it makes, yet if you ride straight up then back down it's not really needed.

I'm sure ti coil and an air fork with the same travel are nice to have but they wont do you much good if you end up deciding to get another bike. Extras like tires, lighter wheels, dropper posts and maybe even a slightly longer stem can be a good start for a future build and are money better spent imo.

We need some pics in this thread - show us what the current iteration looks like:)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can't do pics at the moment, but this is the current spec list:

2009 Spesh SX Trail 2 frame w/Fox DHX 5.0 coil (m)
Fork: 170 Coil Lyrik
Wheels: Spank Subrosa EVO rims on Hope Bulb hubs
SRAM X9 rear mech and shifter
Shimano SLX brakes (180/203) and cranks (single 34 ring)
E-Thirteen SS+ chain device
50mm Hope FR stem
720mm wide Renthal Fatbars
Syncros seatpost
WTB Rocket V saddle
Tyres as post above

I don't ride with anyone so keeping up isn't a problem.

I have thought about a dropper post, and the riding I do really warrants one, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the '09 SX Trail 1 stock except for a wider handlebar
It is heavy-ish, I believe the stock weight is 38.5 lbs.

It is heavy to ride uphill, but over time I have gotten used to it. I would say try riding it as is uphill a lot for a couple months and see if it gets any easier before changing anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts