Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a SX Trail with a creak. It comes from where the shock joins the swingarm. It's been to a Spec dealer three times, greased, bearing replaced, shock greased etc.

The video illustrates the noise. In the garage it's about twice as loud. When the bike is cold it doesn't do it, but after about 15 minutes riding....If you put your hand on the shock reservoir you can feel the vibration.

Full story of the bike here

Watch the video here

If anyone has any ideas please reply, email or leave a comment

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks like the creak is winning this one! Creaks Suck! They are hard to pinpoint, and as illustrated by your video, will make you a little crazy. If you have already worked on one pivot, and it is still creaking, move on to the next. Take some lube and drip it on the pivot in question. It won't fix it, but if the creak stops, you will know what bearings need to be cleaned or replaced. Also, check your BB, chainring and crank bolts, lube your post, etc. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
AHHHH the joys of the FSR creak. What might work for you is to remove, clean, lube, then torque down more on the main pivot (at the bb). When that pivot gets loose you'll get creaking, the feel of the creak just might be in a different spot but that's the usual spot.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Take out the seatpost and try again .Sounds like you need to relube the seatpost. I have owned an enduro ,bighit and 2 sxtrails all have had that sound at one time or another .

·
Registered
654 Posts
maybe try putting more oil in the reservoir. I had a similar problem... Like clockwork said the seat posts are always a b*tch. They always seem to creek. I've had to lube mine a couple times. Hope either of those helps.

·
Boomslang
159 Posts
First of all, be sure all pivot and shock bolts are tight. This is the number one cause of creaks.

However, in your case, it sounds like the spring. Give the spring pre-load collar 1/2 turn and see if the sound changes.

Jake Wake

·
Registered
89 Posts
The fsr design is meant to be dry. Putting grease will attract more dirt into the area. You should take the frame apart and clean the excess dirt out of each pivot. Remember to put locktite on each bolt/nut interface when putting it back together. If you do this you might find a bearing that is siezed, or other issues like loose bolts, etc. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all these ideas - I'll go through them all and see what works

Interesting about the system supposed to be dry - the linkage attracts a lot of dirt.

thanks again - anymore I'm happy to hear them

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a sxt since june 2007, sometimes after bad weather it start to creack. So I found where it creaks. It's the rear triangle with the shock assembly. Just disassemble the rear shock axle and grease all. I mean the differentparts, and reassemble, first time take 30 minutes, but afterward it really fast.
The noise is out and you are happy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I have removed seat post and clamp and ridden without them and it still creaks.

I have wound off and on shock spring and cleaned shock shuttle, bolts are tight and still creaks.

The cables are fine and not them.

This leaves the bearings. The dealer has already replaced one - do I get the others replaced and hope its that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
One more idea

Be sure to check the non-drive side chain stay at the forward weld (on the inside). I believe there have been reports of this being an issue. I have not seen it personally, but I am aware of a few SX owners who have had this happen. I hope that is not the case with your bike, but it may be worth checking.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Look at his vid when he gets off and pushes down it makes no noise. But when seated it is noisy.

I can go out right now and make a vid with the same noise. I am positive its either the seatpost no lubed or seat clamps not tight enough.

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
clockwork said:
Look at his vid when he gets off and pushes down it makes no noise. But when seated it is noisy.

I can go out right now and make a vid with the same noise. I am positive its either the seatpost no lubed or seat clamps not tight enough.
i was thinking the seat rails but i think he said he took the post right out and it still made the noise

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
I missed that .. Still doesn't explain why in the vid it makes no noise when he pushes down on the seat with his hand but with him siting on the seat it creaks. He even cycles the suspension further with his hand then he does while bobbing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.