Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys i have a question on the SX Trail.
Is it possible to put a boxxer race on the SXT and if so does this void the warranty? also is it dangerous like set off the geometry enough so that when i hit a big drop the frame gets messed up? ok im looking forward to your answers and if you have any good pictures of SXT with the boxxer on it that would be great

·
Registered
607 Posts
single crown forks with 6.3" (160 mm) of travel only- taken from the specialized manual.

Bike companies spend many many hours testing component compatibility and what will work with the frames they produce.

Is it possible ? of course it is, anything is possible

Will it work ? most likely, and you probably wont have any problems with it and it would probably be a ton of fun.

But if something were to happen, you would be out a chunk of cash and probably some teeth.

Best of luck with your idea and hope you find a definite solution to your question, this is just my 2 cents.

Safe travels

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks a lot for what you said and it made me think of if something went bad i would be so to say screwed

·
Registered
607 Posts
I guess my thinking is just that if it was designed for a dual crown fork, it would have one, or at least be protected under the warranty. If your looking for something with a dual crown, get a demo. But it sound like you already have an sx so that probably isn't an option. I'd say get a 36 van or lyrik coil, or try to talk to specialized and see if a totem would still be withing the limits of the warranty, and then ride the crap out of that sweet bike.

And yes, if you throw a dual crown on it and break part of the frame, you will be screwed, and they will not replace it.

-Safe Travels

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd say get a 36 van or lyrik coil, or try to talk to specialized and see if a totem would still be withing the limits of the warranty
I'm not sure if the SXT is a special case scenario (since they specify the 160mm single crown fork only), but I remember reading somewhere that as long as the fork travel is within like 10% or 20% of the original travel it's covered by warranty, but you might want to read up on that. If this were the case with the 20%, then you would be just fine with the Totem which I think would be awesome, and if it's the 10%, then you would just need to reduce the travel on the Totem to 176mm. I agree with night that you should NOT use a dual crown fork just based on the fact that if you break your frame you're out a whole frame, and SXT frames ain't cheap.

·
Registered
607 Posts
DucDucGoose said:
Lyrik DH 170 would be just about perfect.
That's what I was thinking, but still, if they set the limit at 160, would still void the warranty :madman:

I've always wanted a sx with a totem on it, I'd like to know for sure if it would void the warranty

·
Pee's in the H8teraid
420 Posts
nightofthefleming said:
That's what I was thinking, but still, if they set the limit at 160, would still void the warranty :madman:

I've always wanted a sx with a totem on it, I'd like to know for sure if it would void the warranty
I'm thinking now that Fox is offering 180mm forks, that the 2011SXT is gonna have one on it....So the SXTII will have a 180 Fox and SXT1 will have 180 Domain...
Speculation only of course..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an 09 sx trail 1 and I just replaced the domain for 2011 fox van 36 180mm......this thing is amazing. Though it slacken the HA by a degree, I think the handling feels just the same. If I feel/see anymore difference, I can always get a zero stack bottom cup. Anyhow, for the price this fork is badass.

·
Registered
461 Posts
surfandrescue said:
I have an 09 sx trail 1 and I just replaced the domain for 2011 fox van 36 180mm......this thing is amazing. Though it slacken the HA by a degree, I think the handling feels just the same. If I feel/see anymore difference, I can always get a zero stack bottom cup. Anyhow, for the price this fork is badass.
hey - can you post some pics?
I'm in love with '09 SX I and would love to see those Kashima legs on that fork. I'm interested to see how that color behaves.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The fox 36 180mm has a much longer A2C than the 36 160mm. I have just installed DC fox 40 and has reduced the travel from 203 to 190mm. The A2C is maintained as in 36 160mm therfore there is no compromise on the geometry and BB height. The ride is awesome with the additional travel and i am still able to do AM with the Fox 40. I have changed the front tire from a Minion Dual ply 2.5 to the Speshy Clutch SX reducing weight by 300grams to compensate for the extra weght carried by Fox 40. My only regret is not doing this earlier. Now i need a better shock (current is DHX5 with Ti spring) to deal with the plushness of the front. The rear feels a little bit rough at the moment as i am ridimg faster now. My ride is a 09 SX Trail II.

·
Registered
62 Posts
dvng: How did you maintain the A2C just by lowering the 40 to 190mm? unless the axle on the 40 was significantly raised up the lower stanchion, there should be some differences wtih the a2c between 160mm and 190mm.

·
Registered
84 Posts
surfandrescue said:
dvng: How did you maintain the A2C just by lowering the 40 to 190mm? unless the axle on the 40 was significantly raised up the lower stanchion, there should be some differences wtih the a2c between 160mm and 190mm.
i didn't do anything. The deal is in the Fox 40 design of the lower crown and axle. The lower crown of the Fox 40 is actually thinner compared to the 36 by at least 15mm and also the axle of the fox 40 is actually slightly higher than the 36. At 190mm travel, the difference is about 5mm longer than a 160mm 36. At 178mm the fox 40 is actually lower (5mm) thus steepening the HA slighltly. Therefore, I have chosed to run 190mm instead of 178mm without altering the ride characteristic of the bike which is pointing downwards.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts