Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First: I have the 2005 Enduro Elite Brain - Size M. The geometry is the same as the 2004 S-Works. The standover height is perhaps a little too high for me, but I've had no actual problems with the height. For XC/enduro/AM-riding the top tube could be a little longer with the original 75 mm stem. No problems here neither. The lenght is good for more technical trail and downhill (which I do ride pretty much thoug).

Height: 165 cm, inseam 76 cm (+1 cm from shoes).

Here's my problem: I've been thinking about the latest SX Trail model. 6.6" of rear travel with a coil-shock would fit my drivestyle better than 5.1" with the Brain. The S-size SX would be infact taller than the 05 Enduro. It would also be shorter. A longer stem (90 mm or longer) on that frame.....sounds like a bad idea?
I've got two forks: the 2005 Fox RL Talas and 2003 Rock Shox Boxxer Race. I think it's designed so that a 6" fork would give the best head angle. It's possible to shorten the Boxxer to 6" by rearranging its internals. I'm a little afraid that the Boxxer would be overkill in more XC-oriented rides. I've used it on enduro/AM/trail and I've really liked it, but it has its weight-issues.

Would it be possible to build it for XC-ish riding (seat high and long TT)?

Is it worth it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How accurate are the geometry specs at Spec website? I just measured my standover height (claimed to be 711 mm) and it was closer to 750 mm. I've been doing well with that height, but it the standover height of SX Trail is 40 mm higher than claimed, then I'd be in deep sh**. Can someone take actual measurements and mention what fork (axel-to-crown height) they've used? I'm interested in S- and M-sizes.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
The standover height on a 6"+ bike even with an XS frame is still going to be high, or your pedals will be scraping the ground under any compression. The key is to pick the TT length that fits you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TT is my primary criteria for chosing the size, but if I can't reach ground while "standing" (read: hanging) on the bike, it's a big problem.

BTW. The claimed BB height is pretty much the same as my 5" bike (measured).

·
Registered
898 Posts
There is only one way to solve this and that's to get a test ride. The newer model Enduro (2005 onwards) feel like bigger bikes than the earlier models because they are much longer in the wheel base and top tude so a shorter stem is needed. The SX model (2006 not 2005) is a little different again, being not quite so long in the top tube as the seat tube assembly is shunted forward a little to accomodate the extra travel.

Still, all this is conjecture - go and test ride one and you will soon know what you want.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easier said than done. I live in Finland, and I don't think they've sold a single SX Trail to here. If they have, it's propably couple of hundread miles away.
I bought the old Enduro without a test ride and didn't have to regret it.

06 SX Trail S-size (M-size)
TT - 556 mm (579)
SO height - 769 mm (771)

05 Enduro Elite Brain M-size
TT - 584 mm
SO height - 711 mm (claimed) / 750 mm (measured)
Stem - 75 mm

I could currently go with a longer stem for enduro riding (and perhaps racing). For more FR-oriented use, a shorter TT wouldn't perhaps be that bad either.

---

Has anyone measured S- or M-size SX Trail frames (TT and SO height)??

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it possible to use a regular 9 mm quick-release rear axle with the SX Trail? The current SX Trails I & II both have a 10 mm bolt-on-axle. Does this mean that a regular hub won't fit?

·
Registered
898 Posts
As I understand it, there is a difference between bolt on and bolt through rear ends. The SX Trail has regular drop outs, allowing you to use a 9mm quick release skewer but the complete bike comes with bolts rather than a QR for better security. The hub has a solid threaded axle and the bolts just screw in from either side of the drop out.

Bolt through rear ends look just like a bolt through fork. These are usually 150mm wide rather than the standard 135mm. The SX Trail and the Demo 8 (current model) both use standard width rear triangles (135mm) and regular drop outs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
geetee1972 said:
As I understand it, there is a difference between bolt on and bolt through rear ends. The SX Trail has regular drop outs, allowing you to use a 9mm quick release skewer but the complete bike comes with bolts rather than a QR for better security. The hub has a solid threaded axle and the bolts just screw in from either side of the drop out.

Bolt through rear ends look just like a bolt through fork. These are usually 150mm wide rather than the standard 135mm. The SX Trail and the Demo 8 (current model) both use standard width rear triangles (135mm) and regular drop outs.
The regular looking dropout made me wonder this thing in the first place. I too had the impression that bolt trough axles would actually have a hole (just like the forks) instead of a regular dropout.

Thanks to both! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.