Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode my 2006 Kona Dawg Primo for the 1st time at Whistler yesterday...mostly on the "Blue" runs (Crank it up, B-Line, Devils Club, Heart of Darkness). I'm coming from a Roadie/XC background, and I'm not really into getting a full on DH rig, but I did have a blast!

The Fox Float RL on the Dawg handled things pretty well, but it did feel a bit skittish on washboard and loose gravel, and I'm wondering if upgrading to a similar travel fork (130-140mm) with a 20mm axle, and a new wheel would be worth the money for the benefit. I had no problem keeping up to most riders, except when it came to the stuff I mentioned before...I had to slow down, or lose it!

Any suggestions for a decent (not too $$) fork to make the switch, if it's worth it?

Thanks

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
PIKE or Revelation 20mm Maxle lite. Affordable, super stiff, light (Reve), proven, readily available hubs

I was a Fox devotee since 2002 when the first Forx came out.

But as good as the 32 forx were, I used to get a bit of wiggle when deep into the travel on my Talas 32 at 130mm, I sent emails to fox for years asking them to make a burlier lightweight TA trailbike fork ALA PIKE, but they only incrementally made the 32 stiffer, and now finally they admit to it (flexiness) and created with shimano the spurious 15mm standard.....

20mm TA will add so much steering precision you'll wonder why they just didn't do it from the start.

Of course there's a Fox 15mm TA - but I haven't seen a released version of a Hub for it. It's 20 grams lighter than a Maxle lite, and only half as stiff and will cost about $200+ more than a 20mm TA.

If you buy an adapter to sleeve down a 20mm hub, you lose any weight saving benefit and the fork is only 1/2 as stiff.

Go for the RS..... Save some $$$ and get more lift tickets and beer!!!

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Johnny

I can think of zero negatives to upgrading to a thru-axle fork/hub....except for the initial outlay of cash.

You'll appreciate the extra stiffness...not only at whistler, but your local trails as well.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
PIKE fork
Hope Pro II hub.

I was impressed with how much stiffer it was over my TALAS. Way more than I expected, but I didn't buy them for strength, I just really liked the PIKE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.