Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2008 Stumpy FSR Comp. I think this is an awesome bike. Rides smoothly and nimble but not nervous. You need to know that I took up mountainbiking again just last year after a 12 or so year break and upgraded from a 1993 Speci Rockhopper steel bike with no suspension ;)

But last week I was at the Lago di Garda in Italy and went down a lot of relatively steep trails with lots of rubble and boulders and it felt like this was a little bit to much for the Stumpy. It wasn't even the missing inches in suspension I was noticing (although that might have been a problem at some points), but rather the overall geometry of the bike. I mean, it was still fun and very, very nice, but it just felt like a more dh-oriented bike could have been even more fun.

When I bought the Stumpjumper at seasons clearance sales last year I also had the opportunity to get a Speci Enduro. I chose the Stumpy because I think through to it's more "touring" geometry it is better for climbing.
Does ayone got first hand experience with both bikes and can give me hint if the Enduro is really noticeably harder to ride uphill (I mean from a personal fitness point of view)? I think when it comes to rather difficult downhill trails the Enduro has clearly an advantage.

Thanks and kind regards, Hans

·
Registered
565 Posts
You could start by swapping the default 120mm fork to 140mm Rock Shox Revelation. But if you regularly ride in big mountains, then I think Enduro would be better, atleast if you want to enjoy the downhill parts.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Enduro climbs better than any bike I've ever owned - especially with the adjustable travel on the E150

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had an '07 stumpy comp with an adjustable Rock Shock Revelation 426 coil fork.
It was a noticeable difference when the trails turned rough...
Now my ride is an '08 Enduro SL Comp completely stock,I didn't upgrade anything yet..
It is a totally different world!
I think if you are in a bit better shape than an average Joe you won't have any problem climbing with the Enduro!
I'm riding the bike over a year now and I didn't drop the fork down to 4 inches more than ten times.
Last week we had a 3 1/2 group ride and I could keep up with the Stumpy-ies no problem.
If you like rocky technical trails buy the Enduro,you'll love it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did exactly that...

Had a Stumpjumper and didn't like the twitchy single track feel. Put a 140 Talas on it.... never felt right. It had more travel but the balance to the back of the bike was NOT to my liking. FSR Stumpys ride race tight. Between geo and suspension, they are great BUT you have to like and need that kind of set up.

I switched to a Enduro SL. Went through the fork and shock issues like others did BUT Spec was OUTSTANDING in helping me. Hands down the Enduro SL is the best bike I have owned for AM/Singletrack/LIGHT Free ride. Tight on the climbs, plush on the downhill.

PS: I am NOT a racer or weight freak so take that into consideration ( Been riding dirt for 20+ years though :)). Enduros are great all around rides. Even with the issues at the onset of the bike... the company was well above fantastic to deal with. Up and running full bore now.

Ken

·
Registered
100 Posts
Haenz,

Did you buy your bike in Munich?

Talk to Philip at Bikesport on Leopold Str in Schwabing. I know it's a bit shicky-mickey in location, but he's the best Specialized service-oriented shop owner I've ever met. Anywhere. He should be able to find a way for you to demo an Enduro. Ride it to Luitpold park or down the Isar to the hill next to Poshinger See and you can find some spots to learn what you want about the bike.

Next try to get a ride on a decent VPP bike (Rabe on Belgrade is pricey, but their service is excellent as well) like a Giant. I no longer buy Specialized fullys because of the high-tech shock warranty and service requirements, and like the feel of some of the VPP designs.

G.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, great. Almost forgot about Bikesport. Always wanted to go there. Definitely will do it now. I bought the Stumpy at the Specialized flagship store at Alpha Bikes. They always have a couple of demo bikes which you can rent out for a day or weekend.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you need help with a local test, give me a head's up and I'll show you the place near Poshinger where you can climb and huck. I've got a new Turner Flux sitting at home, waiting to be built, but wanted to check a couple of things out at BikeExpo tomorrow morning in case I see something better.

I don't know if they have Specialized demos there, I'll let you know. Free tickets online for the weekend if you are interested.

G.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts