Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to switch from heavy UST tires to lighter non-UST tires on my Mavic x3.1 UST rims.

I will be using Stans sealant.

Should i expect any issues from the 2.0 Roll-X's (600g) or 2.1 Nevegal's (630g), both non-UST?

I'm 225 dripping wet, ride a 5Spot, and will be replacing the Geax Sturdy (930g) UST.

thanks in advance, sorry to beat the UST dead horse

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Tappoix said:
i want to switch from heavy UST tires to lighter non-UST tires on my Mavic x3.1 UST rims.

I will be using Stans sealant.

Should i expect any issues from the 2.0 Roll-X's (600g) or 2.1 Nevegal's (630g), both non-UST?

I'm 225 dripping wet, ride a 5Spot, and will be replacing the Geax Sturdy (930g) UST.

thanks in advance, sorry to beat the UST dead horse
I just recently converted over to non-UST tires from UST specific tires on my Mavic X3.1 rims last fall. I have a Kenda 2.35 BG up front which mounted perfectly, no problems at all and a 2.35 Neve in the back, which has been a little more stubborn, took some patience to get the bead to sit right and the sidewalls are blown a bit but that might be because my rear rim is bent a tad and as of now they ar holding air just fine.

Overall, it has not been a problem at all to convert from UST specific tires to non-UST on UST rims. Stan's website has a list of tire manufacturer's which are known to be more compatible to be ran as non-UST tire on UST rims, I can't remember if Specialized was one of them, I would check it out to be sure. If the Specialized is on the list, I think the only thing you may notice mounting the non-UST vs. a UST tire is that it takes a bit more work initially to mount and patience to get a good seat on the rim, whereas the UST tires are more mount and forget. Be sure to use soapy water around the rim and tire bead before mounting and pump up tire pressure to about 45 psi, rotate the wheel in every plane to get the sealant in all the crevices and let it sit overnight to see how it holds before taking it out on the trail. Then I would recommend adding a little more sealant from time to time since the sidewalls are a little thinner on the non-UST tire. Contact if you have anymore questions.

- Jon.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The difference in weight in the 2bliss Roll-X and tubed Roll-X is around 100 grams (per tire) and around $5 difference in cost. With the sealant weighing in at over 60grams, you would be seeing a 40gram (or less) difference between the ust and non ust tires. Do you understand the dangers and problems in running tube type tires without tubes (particularly with larger riders or higher riding forces)

·
Registered
734 Posts
A tubeless tire has a bead that is shaped and sized to fit a specific bead profile and diameter (the UST specification) besides having considerably stronger bead reinforcing (tubeless configuration puts a far higher (tension) strain on the bead.)

Because tube type tires lack this (bead strength, sizing and profile) and they are prone to burping (explosive air loss from a bead unseating) on impact and to literally blowing the bead completely off the rim. Either could cause a serious accident.

Because running a conventional tire tubeless stresses the tire far beyond what it was designed for, you are operating in the over-designed "safety margin". This is designed into everything made on an assembly line to allow for operational tolerances in the product (every product coming off a line is not identical but fall within a tolerance "window".) Engineers over-design products to allow for this window (IOW the lowest tolerance examples will still meet design specifications)
What this means to someone stressing a product far beyond what it is designed to do is that even if one example of a product will function in this way does not guarantee that all examples will. For example just because a buddy has successfully used a (tube type) Specialized Roll-X in a "tubeless" configuration is no guarantee that one you buy won't blow up in your face as you inflate it, or worse the first time you bang into a rock or ditch

You are simply using a product far beyond what it was designed to do, and that is a risky thing to do, as there are no guarantees on how (or if) it will perform.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.