Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about putting a new wheelset on my FS ride. It is an 08 Spot with a Lyrik up front and a RP23 in the rear. I'm running Crossmax STs right now but I would like wheels that can take more abuse and are a bit stiffer. I'm 200lbs not geared up. Me and the wife are moving to Colorado Springs in Feb. So I will have to do my fair share of going up so I can get down.

Would Hope Pro IIs with Flows accomplish what I want?:confused: I was attracted to this combo because the weight penalty wouldn't be bad making this switch. Any thoughts would be much welcomed. :thumbsup:

Thanks!
Ben

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Not really an upgrade...

but more like a lateral move with advantages. The biggest adavantage being getting rid of highly propietary components and being able to get things like spokes, nipples, etc. off the shelf, and a serious upgrade in customer service for the hubs. And you would likely notice an increase in wheel stiffness as well. I've never found a low spoke count wheel that would build as stiff as a good old 32 or 36 spoke 3 cross set up for a 180lb and up rider. Even the high tech straight pull, high tension, high bling stuff from Mavic or Shimano seem to be lacking in that department. Add to that the terrain that you'll be riding and I think you are on the right track. An upgrade? I suppose so, if you consider a stiffer wheel, better customer service, and much easier parts availability an upgrade, then it is. I can't speak for the Stans rims, I've never tried them, but the wheel overall would be superior IMHO. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Laced with some stiff spokes, you will find it a good choice. You arent really going to get much of a weight savings, but some.

Where you are going to see a nice improvement is traction. YOu are going from a 19 mm rim to a 22.6 mm rim. This will give you more contact area on the tire. You can also run bigger tires without that rounding affect.

·
Registered
424 Posts
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN said:
Been thinking about putting a new wheelset on my FS ride. It is an 08 Spot with a Lyrik up front and a RP23 in the rear. I'm running Crossmax STs right now but I would like wheels that can take more abuse and are a bit stiffer. I'm 200lbs not geared up. Me and the wife are moving to Colorado Springs in Feb. So I will have to do my fair share of going up so I can get down.

Would Hope Pro IIs with Flows accomplish what I want?:confused: I was attracted to this combo because the weight penalty wouldn't be bad making this switch. Any thoughts would be much welcomed. :thumbsup:

Thanks!
Ben
Are you talking about the Hope/flow set up they are selling at chainreaction cycles? They are out of that set up and have been for a while. I was waiting for it to come back into stock myself, but ended up getting the Hope/5.1 set up instead.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Upgrade , I hate my Mavics . Sure they are light but between crappy cassette hub and propriatary parts not to mention less than desireable build quality , it would be a step up .

·
mini clyde
166 Posts
denjen said:
Are you talking about the Hope/flow set up they are selling at chainreaction cycles? They are out of that set up and have been for a while. I was waiting for it to come back into stock myself, but ended up getting the Hope/5.1 set up instead.
I emailed CRC about those wheels, here's their response:

When items are listed as Special Order Only in our website this means that we do not carry stock of that product in our warehouse. When an order is placed we will then raise an order for the item with the supplier for that item.
They made no promises about how long it would take, so I ordered them 1st wk of November, figuring I'd be lucky to see them before the new year. It wound taking about about 2 wks to get the wheels built and shipped. They were in perfect condition as you'd expect factory or pro-built wheels to be, but as I've only had time to inpsect/install and a couple of rides it is way too soon to speak for durability. I have high hopes (no pun intended), I've been wanting some nice Flow-hooped wheels since that rim came out. CRC's price put me over the top.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all of the feedback! :thumbsup:

I haven't had any problems with my STs over the past couple of years but I am def not a fan of the proprietary parts. It would be nice to know that I could walk into any shop and get my Flow/Hope wheel set taken care of. I have Hope Pro IIs laced up to Arch 29er rims on my SS and they have been awesome. Haven't had to do any maintenance on em and they spin very smoothly. I can't say I am a huge fan of the noise the hub makes when you are coasting but it isn't a deal breaker for me either.

I was looking at the Hopes with the 5.1 rims too. Both sets look like a great deal!

I really want a wheelset I can pound on and not worry about. I mean the ideal wheelset would be something burly like Azonic Outlaws that weighed around 1800 or 1900 grams. I know that isn't reality but something like that would be sweet.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
denjen said:
denjen,
I was looking at getting that wheel set from chain reaction cycles.

You digging the Hope/5.1 combo?

Ben

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just got a set of Flow's on Hope pro 2's (came off of low end mavic crossrides) and they are really nice wheels. I ended up getting them built up with red hubs, silver spokes and brass nips with 20mm front hub for £278. I have only had one ride on them but decided to convert to tubeless when I got them and they certainly feel nice.

They roll well, feel very stiff and most importantly the noise wasn't near as bad as I've heard on other sets of hope wheels so I am happy!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.