Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what is needed to switch from an 8 speed to a 9? I have a few things so far, X.0 gripshift set, a SRAM pg-970 11-34 cassette, SRAM pc 99 hollowpin 9 speed chain, SRAM X-gen 9-speed 44-32-22 front derailleur, and flak jacket cables for front and rear derailleur. I think i only need a rear derailleur. I'm planing on getting some Race face cranks but not sure if i need them. thx Rod

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
You've Got Too Much Already

;)
The only thing you need is shifters, cassette and chain

No need for different derailleurs or chainrings(crankset)

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
Cranks Are Cranks

Or should I say chainrings 'cause that's what's important.
Basically any chainring will work fine with any system. 9spd rings play nice with 5,6,7,8,9,10 speed chains 6/7spd chainrings also play well with 5,6,7,8,9,10 speed chains.

I road race sometimes on chainrings that were make in the early 80's and they shift fine with my current 10spd rear end and chain.

Moral of the story: Chainring width has changed very little in the last 30 years. Calling current chainrings 9spd is just marketing.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Many Cons

rodman said:
oooo ok, are there any cons changing to a 9 speed ?
9 speed much finickier :rolleyes: , loses tune easier, VERY AFFECTED BY MUD AND BAD CONDITIONS :madman: , break more chains :madmax: , more expensive parts :eekster: , has a gear that you don't need :skep: .
8 speed = better shifting in ANY condition :yesnod: , cheaper parts :D , will hold tune WAY LONGER, lighter as you have 1 less cog (usually the heaviest one too) just plain old better performance (will basicly shift great submerged in mud) There is only 1 plus side to 9 speed and that is the manufacturers are trying to jam them down our throats :incazzato: so they make a gazzilion high end parts for them but their still is very high end parts for 8 speed still (X9 gripshifters and Sram pg850 cassettes and pc 58 and 68 chains) Will never go to 9 speed as long as Sram keeps up the good work. All they need is a 8 speed X9 trigger to make it complete and plus you can still get great xt and xtr 8 speed cassettes. The XO rear derailleur and X9 8 speed gripshift are the BEST setup you could ever use. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.