Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
How much of a difference will I notice. I use this bike as a gravel-grinder/road hero and I'm wondering how much downhill performance will suffer?
How fast are you usually going before you start coasting? Or, phrased another way, what's the top speed at which you will usually pedal? How fast do you want to be able to sprint on the flats?

For me, gearing is never really a question for downhills, since I'm coasting. Gearing IS a question on the flats, though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How fast are you usually going before you start coasting? Or, phrased another way, what's the top speed at which you will usually pedal? How fast do you want to be able to sprint on the flats?

For me, gearing is never really a question for downhills, since I'm coasting. Gearing IS a question on the flats, though.
Usually about 25-30mph.

·
Registered
17,551 Posts
How much of a difference will I notice. I use this bike as a gravel-grinder/road hero and I'm wondering how much downhill performance will suffer?
What size are your wheels and tires? I use 29 x 2.3" and don't spin out till about 40mph with a 34t chainring, I also use my mtb as a road/gravel grinder frequently. Unless you have skinny tires and 26" wheels I think you'd be more than fine with a 40t ring.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What size are your wheels and tires? I use 29 x 2.3" and don't spin out till about 40mph with a 34t chainring, I also use my mtb as a road/gravel grinder frequently. Unless you have skinny tires and 26" wheels I think you'd be more than fine with a 40t ring.
It's a 29er. 11-34 9-Speed Cassette

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.