Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping this question is not total blasphemy...I am hoping some riders on this thread can share some first hand experiences riding both bikes. Based on my online due diligence for both, I have diluted down the riding differences between the two bikes:
  • When descending, the SB 130 can understeer and be skittish or unpredictable?...the Switchblade is considerably more predictable or forgiving?
  • Relating to the climbing attributes, the SB 130 is a slightly more efficient uphill and has slightly better small bump compliance, but the Switchblade is a better climber in the chunk and is more predictable and planted going downhill?
  • Switch-Infinity requires a more substantial annual maintenance as compared to the DW Link pivots?
  • Both bikes have press-fit bottom brackets, which aftermarket PF BB is the most robust and reliable?
  • Does installing an angleset into the Pivot void the warranty?
Candidly, I am leaning towards the Switchblade as the medium geometry is a much better match for me as well as my genuine apprehension relating to numerous rider reports citing the Yeti can be very unpredictable, requires a riders full attention as well as maintain one's weight and energy over the front end?

Lastly, I am motivated and prepared to move quickly on a new Medium Switchblade, please let me know if anyone knows of a new medium or sees one in your LBS...blue and mojave are the preferred colors.

All comments, opinions and shared experiences are greatly appreciated.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,056 Posts
Well, switch infinity is proprietary. Bearings, like a DW link has, are not, many companies make/sell bearings. SI is probably not a huge deal if you are only going to have the bike a couple seasons, but for the long haul, I'd be questioning it. Many many have failed or have issues. Still, others have not had issues, but all you have to do is read the Yeti board to see there are issues. It's a more complex system to achieve a similar anti-squat profile as a DW link bike or other modern ~100% AS bikes.

The bearings are what make the BB. Quality bearings.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That’s why the frames come with lifetime warranty. Also, with any manufacturer you can stumble across some proprietary parts.
And, as far as my experience goes, it gets harder to source parts after several years. I usually stock the most common things after like 5 years or so to counter this.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, switch infinity is proprietary. Bearings, like a DW link has, are not, many companies make/sell bearings. SI is probably not a huge deal if you are only going to have the bike a couple seasons, but for the long haul, I'd be questioning it. Many many have failed or have issues. Still, others have not had issues, but all you have to do is read the Yeti board to see there are issues. It's a more complex system to achieve a similar anti-squat profile as a DW link bike or other modern ~100% AS bikes.

The bearings are what make the BB. Quality bearings.
I appreciate your perspective and points Jayem. Yeti's SI is a very high performance and sophisticated suspension that probably deserves more time and attention, two things I do not have...and yes your right, bearings do make the BB. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's why the frames come with lifetime warranty. Also, with any manufacturer you can stumble across some proprietary parts.
And, as far as my experience goes, it gets harder to source parts after several years. I usually stock the most common things after like 5 years or so to counter this.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
Agreed Radical_53, given the substanital shortage of most things related to cycling, I have also purchased back-up chains, brake pads, tires and critical parts for my bikes.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
The Switch Infinity is fine, though more complex in design. It is a great design though. Mine was 5 years old, overhauled recently, and worked perfectly before and after. My local shop (not a Yeti dealer) did it. I just sold that bike. I have a riding buddy who has one at 6 years now. I now own a Ripley, though am looking at longer-travel bikes as a second bike. I think the SB130 and the SB are two great ones, but I found that at high speed chatter, the Switchblade was not anywhere as composed as when it was at lower-speed technical sections. The Yeti SB130 Lunch Ride is tempting but I think the regular 130 and SB will make for better trail bikes for most. The Yetis can feel long so check that. I prefer the slightly more roomy feel but that is a personal thing. They are different enough but I do think I prefer the way the Yeti pedals. I can't place it but it feels smoother to me. I do like the DW Link and Switch Infinity the best, though I have not tried the Canfield system. Anyway, my search continues...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I currently own a Ripley V4 and Ripmo AF and owned an SB130 (and Lunch Ride configuration). I didn't particularly like how the SB130 handled tight switchback/twisty type trails. On high speed trails (e.g long straightaways). the bike was very stable. Probably the most stable bike I've used. But again, I'm not the type of rider that charges super hard down the descents, all the time. I guess if I were that type of rider, then the SB130 would have been a better fit for me. I also think there was too much overlap between the SB130 and my Ripmo AF. I felt both bikes climbed very similar, with the edge going to the SB130 but on the descents, I thought the Ripmo handled better (it felt more playful). I'd look into getting a Ripmo over the SB130. I haven't ridden a 2021 Switchblade but I'd definitely like to give it a try. Just waiting for the Pivot demo to start up again at my local bike shop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Owned both. High speed chatter depends on what shock in the rear and your weight. SB with new Float x is very good vs Yeti with DPX2. I dislike that shock in rough. Climbing i think SB is bit better. Understear not an issue with same size frames Medium. (My large SB130LR at 5'10" did understear). Maintance i always serviced the SI but did go through a bearing early on. DW more set and forget. I would not go back to a SB130 after having this SB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.