Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some of the older threads about people experimenting with switching their air shocks with coil. Could I get some feedback from some of the folks that tried this? Were the results as positive as people were projecting? I would love to try it but I'd rather hear from those of you that have before I commit any money to the project.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
AT least with a Romic, results are pretty worthy.

I'm bottoming mine quite easily and having a little bob when pedaling erratically. I'd have to try the following firmer spring. I'm on a 350# now, I may try a 400# in the future. I have a 450# that I'll put on, just to see how it goes but I figure that it will be too heavy a rate.

But so far, I'm not missing the Roco Air, which is to say a lot. The rear end is incredibly plush, traction to spare. The mid stroke feels supple but not overly soft... while the air shock always was ramping up too much and mid stroke was not as nice.

If you're lucky to have the 5th Element 5" rockers for a 2003/2004 you'll can even use a 2.25" shock to get 140mm travel.

Just watch out your FD for clearance at bottom out. Move it upwards a couple mm's. If you go for the 2" stroke shock, you'll not have this issue at all but you'll be at 5" flat of rear travel.

The 2.25" at bottom out....

This pic is not that accurate... I think my FD made contact with the swingarm. However, upon inspection of the FD today, I'm not that sure. Maybe I just rotated it with my foot as it doesn't look bent.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Supplejoe said:
I've read some of the older threads about people experimenting with switching their air shocks with coil. Could I get some feedback from some of the folks that tried this? Were the results as positive as people were projecting? I would love to try it but I'd rather hear from those of you that have before I commit any money to the project.
Joe I tried the Romic Coil a while back on my 02 Blade and it sucked! Heavy, bobbing on steep single track climbs with ledges boulders etc. Stick with the air shocks, they work best. My favorite is the 05 Fox Float R with flared canister. Very plush and minimal bobbing on the steep tech climbs. I'm using a ZAM1(130-150mm) on the front end and the bike handles the roughest stuff very well the way it is, without a coil.

I pushed an 02 Fox Float and it made the bike feel like it had less travel, not good for my terrain and riding style.

If anyone has broken or think they might break their Quasimoto or Switchblade Rockers PM me. My buddy and I are working on getting custom CNC'd plates made.

Cracked 02 Blade Rocker Plate

Cracked Quasimoto Rocker Plate

·
Registered
162 Posts
mtbski said:
If anyone has broken or think they might break their Quasimoto or Switchblade Rockers PM me. My buddy and I are working on getting custom CNC'd plates made.
Just wanted to let you all know we just received a fresh batch of the long travel Switchblade rockers in. They're $180, which sounds expensive, but the machine shop charges were pretty hefty as we only ran a small batch.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Jeff, as I understand it the SB shock mounts and rockers changed somewhat over the years. Which model year is the rocker in your picture designed for, how much travel, what i to i shock length are they designed for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.