Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently ridden Laurel Mtn/Pilot and Kitsuma (twice yesterday) for the first time, I'm wondering what method you guys find works best for riding (down) tight and steep switchbacks?

The two on the back of Kitsuma are perfect examples. Do you go high into it and then turn tight down? Or, cut it sharp and lean into the hill?

I was amazed at how many I cleared riding down Pilot without killing myself...I had a few "how the heck did I do that?" moments.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love kitsuma and the two u switchbacks u mention are diffucult.

I rarely can make the first. But the second I tend to start in the center and need to usually fish tail through a little to make it.

As for Pilot rock. Ive only seen it once and was a little traumatized my first visit so i dont remember much. Definately need a rerun on that one.

How much luck did you have with the switchbacks on your way up Kitsuma?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there were 4 on the way up Kitsuma that I had no chance on..I was blowing up on the first loop on the first part of the climb.

Yeah, the first of the two on the backside was the really gnarly one..

·
Registered
247 Posts
Did Laurel/Pilot this week and I that type of thing is not the norm for me. However, I manged to clear most of the turns with the following general game plan.

1) aim for the inner track, 2) sit waaaay back, 3) key the cranks level, and 4) brake/hop as needed to maintain line, and 5) lean & pedal. It felt like I was sneaking up on the turn and would then swooping.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
In general I go wide and cut to the inside line once inside the switchback. Sometimes terrain doesn't allow this to happen so the tight inside line with some good rear brake work seems to do the job OK.

I didn't clean all of Pilot last time I rode it though. I think I cleaned Kitsuma, can't remember.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I pretty much agree w/ Plume. I rode Laurel/Pilot Tuesday w/ Valerie and Caleb after a few months of hardly any riding. I made all the switchbacks on Pilot by starting wide and then choosing the line as I came around. That big rock in the middle of the trail midway through the lower rock garden got me though. I think two or three more rides like that will get my passion back!

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Sorta depends on the situation.. like what obstacles are on the left or right of the switchback that I need to hit or avoid. Mostly I just hang on. I find that attempting it and "just finding out what happens" is the best method. I have ridden all of the switchbacks on Pilot when I was feeling confident, or dabbed my foot on like every one when I was feeling goofy/off balance. Sometimes I just have those days :)

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Tired & true advice, Mr. Miller.

:thumbsup:

I've always headed high before I turn. Sometimes I know I'll make it, sometimes I panic brake and dab/shuffle/scoot/walk it. The decision really depends on my current insurance coverage, which side of my body is in "control" and what the penalty factor will be. Since my whole left side is damaged, right turns usually rule.

·
Slow, Fat and Old
105 Posts
M-U-M said:
Tired & true advice, Mr. Miller.

:thumbsup:

I've always headed high before I turn. Sometimes I know I'll make it, sometimes I panic brake and dab/shuffle/scoot/walk it. The decision really depends on my current insurance coverage, which side of my body is in "control" and what the penalty factor will be. Since my whole left side is damaged, right turns usually rule.
MUM - are you still getting the frequent buyer discount from the orthopedic surgeons in Asheville?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.