Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and in the market for a FS trail bike and these are the three I've come up with so far based only on what I've read on this forum. I was initially interested in a few XC bikes but I think the "trail bikes" fit my riding style better. Which would you choose and why? I would like to hear from anyone whose has experience with any two or all three of them. Also, are there others that I should consider? Thanks in advance for your input?

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
You mean Switchblade?

pbunt said:
I'm new to the forum and in the market for a FS trail bike and these are the three I've come up with so far based only on what I've read on this forum. I was initially interested in a few XC bikes but I think the "trail bikes" fit my riding style better. Which would you choose and why? I would like to hear from anyone whose has experience with any two or all three of them. Also, are there others that I should consider? Thanks in advance for your input?
I assume you meant Switchblade. I have been looking at trail bikes as well. The 3 you mentioned are all very good. You can't go wrong with a Switchblade. Their bikes are well made and ride even better. Titus also has phenomenal customer service. Other bikes you may consider are the Intense 5.5, Yeti 575, and the Foes FXR. The FXR is a single pivot, but is very stiff - rides very well. It is a little heavier than the others, especially with the Curnutt shock. The best way decide is to test ride a few bikes and compare. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
SB, 5Spot or Chamuco

I've only owned the 5 Spot and I think it's the best bike of those three because it's a four bar with an un-interupted seat tube; the best of everything. The Switchblade was one of my options but I decided against it because 3 of the 4 bikes I've broken were interupted seat tube frames like the SB. I didn't consider the Chamuco due to it's similarity to my bullet and Foes weasle, both fun bikes but being high single pivot designs they suffered from the traits that all of that design do, peddle feedback and brake jack. I would however consider an X5 with a 6 inch rocker set up.

·
Professional Slacker
3,271 Posts
slowrider said:
I've only owned the 5 Spot and I think it's the best bike of those three because it's a four bar with an un-interupted seat tube; the best of everything. The Switchblade was one of my options but I decided against it because 3 of the 4 bikes I've broken were interupted seat tube frames like the SB. I didn't consider the Chamuco due to it's similarity to my bullet and Foes weasle, both fun bikes but being high single pivot designs they suffered from the traits that all of that design do, peddle feedback and brake jack. I would however consider an X5 with a 6 inch rocker set up.
Ever heard of someone breaking a Switchblade?

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
richde said:
Been on my 01 blade since 7/01. Only issue was a small crack in the swingarm. It was quickly repaired by Titus. They have since boxed in the hollow section.
On a hammer head ride I showed up late and they guys said "oh you just missed the the broken switchblade frame, cracked near the head tube" I doubt it was true. I weigh 195, add some gear/camelback easily 210. 4000 miles every year on rocky east coast muck.
No problem so far.
Ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Need more info...

pbunt said:
You should provide a bit more info about yourself like:

How much do you weigh?

Do you want a bike that improves your climbing or your descending?

Are you hard on your equipment?

How do you intend to build the bike up?

I have a '01 Switchblade and it's on the lighter duty side compared to the 5-Spot and El Chamuco. It's a great bike for XC riding and good for aggressive trail. The interrupted seatpost and air only rear shock are a big weakness in my book.

I recently looked closely at buying a El Chamuco for light duty DH riding and freeriding, but ended up going with a different frame. The El Chamuco is on the heavy duty end of the spectrum. It weighs more and has slower steering compared to the Switchblade. It'll feel better on the descents but may not feel as light and nimble as the Switchblade. You should be able to get the El Chamuco for around $1300 which makes it a great deal compared to the SB and 5-Spot.

One last comment about 4-bar vs single pivot. I'm not sure I'm sold on the benefits of the 4-bar vs the single pivot and with the latest generation of shocks I don't think the differences are as pronounced as they may have been a couple years ago.

That said you may be a rider that notices the differences and prefer the 4-bar design, but only you can make the call.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Broken frame?

richde said:
No I havent herd of a broken Switchblade frame but then again I've never known anyone who has owned one either. I'm sure there great bikes but we have to make buying decisions based on our own experiences and our understanding of the limitations of the various designs. The reason I didn't buy one has mostly to do with the interupted seat tube being weaker because it doesn't continue to the bottom bracket in a direct line with the forces applied to the frame ( and the fact that I've broken 3 similar U.S. made frames) and the fact that the seat tube cannot be fully dropped. I didn't intend to give the impression that I had any info that Switchblades are weak just that it makes me feel a bit more secure to have a fully triangulated frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.