Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this topic has been covered...

I'm wondering what the maintenance schedule is on the Switch. I've put about 600 miles on my 95 over about a year and a half (damn kids), and I wanted to make sure I am doing the necessary maintenance. Thanks for the advice.

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
My suggestion would be to

- mount the bike in a stand
- remove the rear wheel
- check for no vertical play (e.g. worn shock bushings, loose bolts)
- remove the shock
- check the bushings for any indicator that replacement is warranted (mostly visual check, if the no-play test is good)
- check for smooth and easy movement of the rear triangle, with no lateral play
- un-bolt the rear triangle (5mm hex to remove the locking collet bolts, 12mm - IIRC - to remove the axles)
- un-bolt the yoke (5mm hex)
- check that all small bearings rotate easily and smoothly
- remove drive-side (DS) Switch locking bolt (5mm hex IIRC)
- remove the stop-bolt from the back of the Switch (5mm hex IIRC)
- remove DS and NDS side Switch assemblies
- check everything for cleanliness and signs of inappropriate wear (corrosion, scarring, friction wear on the NDS side where it goes into the bushing, etc.)
- check DS Switch bearing (the large one) for easy/smooth movement
- check NDS Switch bushing for condition (it's likely fine, my original lasted over 1500 miles of NE PA mixed weather riding)
- check the stop-bolt rubber cap, likely decapitated - see other threads on dealing with this - same problem as for the stop-bolt bumper that the SB66 has

If your bearings are all free-moving and your bushing is in good shape, just clean everything up and reassemble.

Some minor notchiness I feel is expected since none of these actually rotate a large amount, but if any of the bearings are hard to turn they should be replaced before they cause inappropriate wear either in their mounted spaces or on the bolt that goes through them.

All of the bearings are easily acquired outside of Yeti as they are standard sizes, the manuals online that Yeti provides have the bearing specs.

I don't know of a good source for either the NDS Switch bushing or the quad-o-ring though. Luckily both of those seem to last well.

I've heard that many actually run w/o the o-ring altogether, but for me in my often damp climate I appreciate having the o-ring there to help protect the innards.

Tapping out and pushing in new bearings isn't a big chore, a headset press can be used on the DS bearing (with the old bearing used a second layer to get the new bearing into proper depth).

Yeti sells a bearing maintenance kit though which may make things easier.

The last time I did maintenance on this I had to replace my bushing, I didn't have good tools yet for it, and ended up using the NDS Switch assembly to tap-in the new bushing. *not* suggested, but functional in a pinch.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Good stuff Bear! After about a thousand miles, my bushings and bearings all seem to be in good shape. Tore everything down to clean and lube twice since I bought my 95 last year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts