Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my 2nd SI. First one lasted 3 years, but slowly wore off the coatings so I replaced it recently through my LBS. This is the first time I've done the regular grease service on this SI. Right port accepted the grease as usual. Left port 95% of the grease spits out of the sides of the port. I'm expending so much waste to get grease to go into that port to make some seep out the top of the SI. The ports on my previous SI accepted grease normally. I'm using Yeti's grease & gun (I have a std grease gun as well that I tried and it made no difference). I also tried removing the port and putting grease in directly but that didn't make any difference.

Any suggestions/tricks, or similar problem??

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have had the same problem with my SI. I have an automotive grease gun and o e of the ports would not accept grease. Front one I think. I disassembled the SI and was able to add grease to both ports. The problem, I think, is the clearance is too little to allow any grease to be inserted.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,454 Posts
I bought a cheap needle-tip mini grease gun off Amazon and just used that last week with no issues at all. That was right after taking the whole assembly apart to clean / inspect, but if yours is new, I'm not sure what the issue would be other than a zirk that is somehow clogged. I didn't even get much blow-back (of grease) around the zirk/port.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I found the yeti gun to be difficult to generate enough force with. I bought a dualco gun off Amazon and seems to work a lot better (after the messy setup)
Same here. Got the dualco with the longer needle and bought a tube of grease that should last me a long, long time. Having the gun properly bled is a must otherwise you're just blowing air and getting a hand workout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.