Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to switch from a heavy UST Geax Sturdy (930g) rear tire to a lighter non-UST rear tire on my Mavic x3.1 UST rims. The Sturdy has held up great to my pounding, but damn if it's the beginning of the season and I can really feel the weight of the tire when i pedal it.

I will be using Stans sealant with the x3.1 mavic rim.

Should i expect any issues from Specialized 2.0 Roll-X's (600g) or 2.1 Nevegal's (630g), both non-UST?

does the Clan have suggestions for faster-rolling rear tires?

I'm 225 dripping wet and ride a 5'er, riding in Central and Western Oregon, and will be replacing the Geax Sturdy (930g) UST.

thanks in advance, sorry to beat the UST dead horse, but i want to drop some weight from the ol' mustang...

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Okay, I Love the red and gold...howzthat?

A big man, on frankenUSTs...sounds like trouble. Eat a few less twinkies Tapper.:D
Just kidding, but I have read a bit about how non-USTs can have weaker sidewalls. I'm thinking that a Clyde may be a bit much, especially if ridden hard.(speaking as a hard riding clysdale)

If it's any help here are some alternative USTs. The UST Contis VPs and the UST Hutch Spiders (non-wire version) are essentially the same size (2.3) and weigh about the same as the non-UST Weirwolfs w/tubes. The VPs can rip easily on rocks however.

G'luck!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Do you know if the tire seems slow because of the weight, or rolling resistance? I don't think weight matters as much. I tried a Panaracer FR 2.4 in the rear. Holy crap. I think the problem was the friggin' 1/2" high knobs. This thing is like a tractor tire.

I like the Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 in the rear, with something beefier up front. Pretty light at under 600 grams, and seems to roll well.

I love the rasta head-tube badge. Is that stock, or a custom thing?

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Tap, what booties are you rolling on this post-work ride?

Justen. I love that badge too. It's the stock '03 badge. It's not Rasta...it's Rainbow as in podium.
They were stiffer too. Less prone to snagging and bending during a wash.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i picked up a Spesh Roll-X 2.0 for $25 out of the bargain bin at the local bike shop (and I don't even like those guys! what a bunch of sour-pusses). Not sure if it's an S-works tire or Pro, but it did weigh 600g.

WTB WW 2.3 in front, w/ a tube, cause word is they don't mount well with the UST rim. This is my first try at a non-UST tire on UST rim.

that World Champion rainbow head badge is styyyyleeeee! IMHO, the '03 5 Spot, with the rainbow head badge, black/silver peeling logo, painted front/polished rear is a CLASSIC! Clean and mean!

'zilla, i don't even like twinkies. it's my wife's Bechamel Blini's and all the good beer that's brewed in Bend that hurts! :D

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I've been tubeless for almost 4 years at this point.
Started with the original Stan's taping method which sucked.
Moved to Stan's rim strips which were an improvement but inconsistent.
Moved on to UST Rims.

The best combo by far are UST rims with UST tires and a scoop of goo.

For the past 9 months I've been running the standard Kendas on UST rims. They work but there are a few tricks that help initially sealing much easier:
- first inflate the tire with a tube & let it sit there for an hour to get all the kinks out
- use 2 full scoops of Stan's
- make sure you use soapy water on the sidewalls
- after inflating, hold the tire vertical and shake it up n' down while slowly rotating it and angling the tire slightly. This will help force the goo up the sidewalls to the spots that are hard to get
- after doing the above, place the tire perpendicular to the floor on an open garbage can or sink. Place the side down that you were sealing in the above step. This again helps to get the goo to the hard to reach spots
- repeat the last 2 steps for the other side of the tire

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I ran the WW 2.3 up front last fall/early winter.(with a tube) A nice sturdy tire. Pretty good traction in dry and loamy conditions. It packs up with mud in a heartbeat though. It looked like a slick. Keep it dry and it'll keep you safe.

I can't even pronounce your wife's dish let alone identify it. But if it packs on the calories then it's all good.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
...For the past 9 months I've been running the standard Kendas on UST rims. They work but there are a few tricks that help initially sealing much easier:
Holy cow, what a project! Thanks Squeak for confirming my decision to stick with pure UST.:D
I don't often encounter thorns. The std UST process takes me 3 mins, a floor pump and a bowl of soapy water. So far the Albert Spiders and Sturdy have all held air as well as a tube...I'm talking weeks.

Bump that Stans isht man!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Tappoix said:
i picked up a Spesh Roll-X 2.0 for $25 out of the bargain bin at the local bike shop (and I don't even like those guys! what a bunch of sour-pusses). Not sure if it's an S-works tire or Pro, but it did weigh 600g.

WTB WW 2.3 in front, w/ a tube, cause word is they don't mount well with the UST rim. This is my first try at a non-UST tire on UST rim.

that World Champion rainbow head badge is styyyyleeeee! IMHO, the '03 5 Spot, with the rainbow head badge, black/silver peeling logo, painted front/polished rear is a CLASSIC! Clean and mean!

'zilla, i don't even like twinkies. it's my wife's Bechamel Blini's and all the good beer that's brewed in Bend that hurts! :D
I tried some standard tires with stans for awhile and while they worked with no flats I didn't like the feel of them overall. I'm 200 even and ran Conti Verts (600g I think) and the front tire felt fine but the rear always felt squirmy and they felt like they would roll sometimes in fast corners, the rear did "burp" some air a few times also. If the Spec. tires feel squirmy maybe try a heavier steel bead tire thats lighter than a UST-good luck.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahhhhhhhhh....here's the love!!! thx guys, keep it coming and I WILL report tonight on the performance of the new set-up.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
The procedure sounds worse than it really is.
That is, when it works the first time.

UST tires are the way to go, but the selection still sucks.

My friend has 2.3 UST SPiders with dual tread on his new Speshy enduro and loves them. Unfortunately that particular model is still only available OEM, but I'm hoping they'll be released for general use soon. Until then I'll stick with my Kendas which are the best tires I've ever had.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Holy cow, what a project! Thanks Squeak for confirming my decision to stick with pure UST.:D
I don't often encounter thorns. The std UST process takes me 3 mins, a floor pump and a bowl of soapy water. So far the Albert Spiders and Sturdy have all held air as well as a tube...I'm talking weeks.

Bump that Stans isht man!
Zilla...How do you like the UST Spiders? I'm lovin' them. Like you mentioned...they hold air great! I check them after a week and I can't notice any loss at all. They roll great and hook up well...not quite as good as the Sturdys, but not bad, either.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
blini is a crepe...she makes them homemade and then fills them with chicken, peas, corn, sharp white cheddar cheese, and then pours the Bechamel sauce (white cream) over it, sprinkles homemade croutons on, and bakes.

oh lawdy!

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
One to consider is the Hutchinson Scorpion UST 2.3. It's actually a little bigger than a sturdy, nice thick casing, and a round profile with short lugs that shed mud and wet sand well. Definatly a lot lighter and faster rolling than the sturdy, but still durable (unlike the other hutchinson XC tires I have tried)

I used one of these on my hardtal last summer, for big rides in the cascades and a 45 mile enduro in BC. Grea fast tire and very durable.

BTW, I agree, weight is only one aspect.. something rounder with lower profile lugs will roll way faster. Nice to still run a big tires for the occasionally sandy trails in SW wa/ central oregon.

Tappoix said:
ahhhhhhhhh....here's the love!!! thx guys, keep it coming and I WILL report tonight on the performance of the new set-up.

·
Upgrade Addict
240 Posts
Spiders...

I run the Hutch Spiders in a 2.1 (bigger than any other 2.1 I've ridden) UST on the Mavic 819 UST rims on my Burner. I came off a heavier set of Fire UST 2.1s. I really love them. No air loss and they roll better than the Fires. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Blini!

Blini -- thin pancake/crepe. Damn fine food! We seem to have them filled with fruit as dessert most often. My wife is Russian, and Blini is her favorite. He Russian cooking has put 20 lbs on me. I've be trying to ride off the extra weight, but it's hard when the food is so good.

the Bechamel sounds good could you email/PM the recipe? I'm always looking for reason for long riders.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Im using a Spider UST 2.3 on the front and a Maxxis Ignitor UST 2.3 on the rear, both mounted to 819's. Im a big guy right now, ridden in rough and rocky area's with no problems, the Spider is bigger than the Maxxis, but the Maxxis is giving me great traction.
I have a scoup and a half in the tires too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.