Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am running SRAM X01 Eagle, and I wanted to go to the new Shimano XT, could I leave the cassette and cranks, and just switch the derailleur, shifters, and brakes?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,555 Posts
can I ask why? I mean the cassette is basically the same isn't it?
not exactly. it's a subtle change, but it's noticeable. further, the cassette spacing is ever so slightly different between the two, such that the shifting performance just won't be exactly the same. it'll work, but I'd consider it a suboptimal option.

I don't really see the point in spending the money on the shifter and derailleur if you're not going to go all the way to take advantage of the group.

The brakes are a separate issue entirely, and unrelated to the drivetrain.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,555 Posts
The derailleur doesn't know what the chain and cassette are.
The point is that HG+ happens in the chain and cassette, not in the shifter and derailleur. Aside from that, the subtle difference in cog spacing between the brands most likely means you won't get quite optimal shift quality unless you stay all sram or all shimano.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
The point is that HG+ happens in the chain and cassette, not in the shifter and derailleur. Aside from that, the subtle difference in cog spacing between the brands most likely means you won't get quite optimal shift quality unless you stay all sram or all shimano.
The point is that HG+ is totally not a factor. You can replace all the shift components without inducing weirdness from HG+ specific tuning.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,555 Posts
The point is that HG+ is totally not a factor. You can replace all the shift components without inducing weirdness from HG+ specific tuning.
You can interchange the components, but reports from people who have done exactly that are that there ARE differences in shift quality. They might debate how big of a difference there is, but there is agreement that there is a difference.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
You can interchange the components, but reports from people who have done exactly that are that there ARE differences in shift quality. They might debate how big of a difference there is, but there is agreement that there is a difference.
I'm certain you understand how this stuff works. This is leading toward a stupid conversation. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
If I am running SRAM X01 Eagle, and I wanted to go to the new Shimano XT, could I leave the cassette and cranks, and just switch the derailleur, shifters, and brakes?
Dude, it's fine. I did it and it shifts just fine...XTR shifter and rear mech, X01 cassette and chain. If you use Shimano chain, use a Sram Eagle quick link. Enjoy! You'll love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
So what is the upside? Why spend $400?
Hey, if XT was out when I pulled the trigger, I def would have gone that route. But as it is, I'm waiting for P321 (that's the hub of that wheel even tho you can't see it) to start shipping micro spline drivers (late June to early July). I managed to get a 10-51 xtr cassette from Bike24 before they kiboshed shipping to the US. All said/done, I'm under $600...so...

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Past year or so I've run XTR12 shifter, XX1 DUB crank with Absolute Black oval, Eagle GX chain, Eagle GX derailleur, X01 cassette.

I want the talked-about/marketed/hyped shifting of the Shimano 12 chain + cassette, and plan to go with XTR12 shifter, SLX12 chain with Eagle link, XTR 10-51, same crank....and hope the Eagle GX rear derailleur works perfectly. Otherwise I'd go with XT12 der.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.