Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver bullet
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about switching from my Pugsley to a 9 Zero 7 for a couple of my own reasons. I'm just curious if anyone out there has done this and has any comments. Or even if anyone out there that hasn't done it has any comments.
Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm guessing Logantri will chime in here. He has made the switch and really liked it.

I have thought about the same thing. I think about it more every time I have to remove the rear wheel on my Pug and am forced to loosen the caliper. Somehow the brake gets out of adjustment just enough to frustrate me and think about a 907.

I may make the switch this summer. I am going to run an offset fork to make my wheels compatible. I do not see a downside to the offset fork (compared to a 100mm steel fork, or an Enabler fork).

If I could get a couple hundred bucks for my Pug frameset, it would be $400 total out of pocket.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
J-No said:
I'm guessing Logantri will chime in here. He has made the switch and really liked it.

I have thought about the same thing. I think about it more every time I have to remove the rear wheel on my Pug and am forced to loosen the caliper. Somehow the brake gets out of adjustment just enough to frustrate me and think about a 907.

I may make the switch this summer. I am going to run an offset fork to make my wheels compatible. I do not see a downside to the offset fork (compared to a 100mm steel fork, or an Enabler fork).

If I could get a couple hundred bucks for my Pug frameset, it would be $400 total out of pocket.
Well, now I have to chime in. I went from a pugs with drilled marges to the 907 with drilled Flattop 80 rims. The frame was a 2 pound drop, rims were maybe another pound.

On my first ride I expected some small differences, primarily in the pounds I dropped. The difference was much, much more than I expected. Yes, the bike was lighter, but the torsional rigidity of the frame was noticeably improved and very much appreciated. The new bike felt much more like a XC bike, but with fat tires. I can still pound out hours on boring snowmobile trails, but when the going gets tight and twisty, the 907 gets going. I highly recommend the upgrade.

Now with that being said, feel free to take into the fact that they do support me in my winter bike competitions. You can use that as a reason for me being biased, but I speak the truth based on my experience.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i too have been curious about this.
my goal is to have a Ti 907 with a der drivetrain specifically for snow/trails and save the pugs for the beach (since it has an IGH) and my eventual lost coast tour :thumbsup:

no telling what the fature holds at this point...

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Logantri said:
Well, now I have to chime in. I went from a pugs with drilled marges to the 907 with drilled Flattop 80 rims. The frame was a 2 pound drop, rims were maybe another pound.

On my first ride I expected some small differences, primarily in the pounds I dropped. The difference was much, much more than I expected. Yes, the bike was lighter, but the torsional rigidity of the frame was noticeably improved and very much appreciated. The new bike felt much more like a XC bike, but with fat tires. I can still pound out hours on boring snowmobile trails, but when the going gets tight and twisty, the 907 gets going. I highly recommend the upgrade.

Now with that being said, feel free to take into the fact that they do support me in my winter bike competitions. You can use that as a reason for me being biased, but I speak the truth based on my experience.
Thanks for helping out! If you don't mind me asking what size Pugs did you ride and what size 907 are you on now plus you height?
Thanks

·
Silver bullet
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Logantri said:
Yes, the bike was lighter, but the torsional rigidity of the frame was noticeably improved and very much appreciated. The new bike felt much more like a XC bike, but with fat tires. I can still pound out hours on boring snowmobile trails, but when the going gets tight and twisty, the 907 gets going. I highly recommend the upgrade.
Thanks Logantri

I guess this is what I was expecting but just wanted to hear it from someone, I wanted something with a little more cross country feel.
My other reasons: a couple of weeks ago I had to fix a flat on the trail. The horizontal dropouts and moving the calipers are just a little too bothersome for me on the trail and in the cold.
I usually go through a two or three derailleur hangers a season on my 26 and 29 bikes so I want something that has a replaceable hanger.
I just want an aluminum frame.
I want a frame made in the states (go ahead, call me Archie Bunker).

I'm not in a rush, I figure I'll finish the season on my Pugs and build the 907 over the summer at my leisure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.