Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[EDIT]
I just ordered a 08 Swinger X4 Air for my 05 Bullit.
I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this shock on a Bullit?
Also is the silver lever some kind of lockout? The site is pretty vague..
Thanks...

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
It should be ideal for your Bullit for an air shock selection. The X4 is basically an upgraded Swinger 4-Way Air. That lever has a lockout, and I thought I read somewhere that it has a mid-step also that contains a stepped-up compression circuit. I've run a Swinger 4-Way Air on a Bullit for a long time. The SPV and adjustable bottomout is a great fit to the long travel, single pivot characteristics of the Bullit.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TNC..Actually the post was originally titled "X4 Air or Monarch for a Bullit?"
That's why I wrote [EDIT] in my post above.

This morning after posting my question I decided to run down to my lbs and order the
X4. I edited my post when I got back.
My decision to go with the X4 was mostly based on our previous conversations, and the fact that I have had a 05 3 Way Air on my trail bike for a few years and I have been very happy with it.:thumbsup:
Also thanks for the info about the lever. I did a search and couldn't find much info on it.
It's kinda strange that Manitou doesn't mention it on the site.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MTB_prodigy said:
how much travel am I getting if I have a 8.75 x 2.80 on an 05 bullit?
Check this out..
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=84785&highlight=bullit+travel

I'm not positive if the results are the same on the 02.5-05 Bullit but they should be close.
You might want to wait and see if TNC chimes in.

I think I might be the only one who was happy to hear the Bullit has LESS travel than advertised with the 8.5 X 2.5 shock....:D

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, that linked post pretty much covers all the Bullit travel issues and options.

prodigy, I doubt that's an 8.75 X 2.80 shock you have...probably an 8.75 X 2.75 shock with a 2.80 free length spring. The short answer to a Bullit using an 8.75 X 2.75 shock is about 7.2" of travel.

·
Registered
997 Posts
TNC said:
Yeah, that linked post pretty much covers all the Bullit travel issues and options.

prodigy, I doubt that's an 8.75 X 2.80 shock you have...probably an 8.75 X 2.75 shock with a 2.80 free length spring. The short answer to a Bullit using an 8.75 X 2.75 shock is about 7.2" of travel.
thanks and yeah its an 8.75 X 2.75 shock.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Drill or spacer change

MTB_prodigy said:
Hey TNC i read that one guy used a 9 x 3 shock and mounted it right on the frame. Would you recomend this? How is it done anyway cause the bolts used are different sizes.
Yeah, I've seen that done, and it seems to work fine. Many of them have rear wheel contact with the saddle in some cases under full compression. Some installs involved drilling the rear most front shock mount hole out to 8mm and bolting the shock directly into the frame. Others changed the spacer in the shock to a 6mm hole and bolted it into the frame. I think the last one might be challenging the bolt somewhat.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Update..

Thanks TNC!!!!

I have had the X4 on my 05 Bullit for about a week now and it's Awesome.:thumbsup:
So far I have had it on 2 long (4 and 5 hour) trail rides on technical,rocky,rooty New England trails..
I like the ride far better than the Fox DHX 5.0 Air it replaced..
It climbs and accelerates better and also actually has a midstroke...:D

The silver lever is called a "No Tools Platform Adjuster" It has 4 clicks that are supposed to make the platform firmer when turned clockwise.
Honestly though I don't really notice much of a difference when the lever is turned.
It gets a bit firmer but not much..Kinda similar to the 15 click Propedal knob on the 06 DHX air.:D

Other than the lever it's very similar to the previous 4 Way air.

So far the only possible Issues I have had is,
I have only used 2 inches of the 2.5 inches of stroke.
I'm not so sure this is an issue though as I have not done any drops bigger than 2 feet yet.
I plan on hitting a trail with a few bigger drops this week so I'll post my results then.

Also the rebound in the fastest setting is slower than some shocks I have owned.
It is SUPER slow in the slowest setting.
After I first tuned it I called Manitou about this and they told me it probably just needs some break in time.
I have noticed it has gotten faster the more I ride it.
Right now it's fine for me so I can't complain but it could be an issue for other riders.

Overall I really like this shock and consider it a big step up from the DHX Air.
I highly recommend this shock to anyone who uses the older Bullit as a Trail/All Mountain bike.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
142 Posts
mc-

I have two cents to drop here fwiw:

You WILL need break in time. It took me a couple weeks to get the baffles (i am assuming) and seals to free up as designed..... It also makes a squishing/sucking sound when it is new, that will wear off (unless you really compress it fast) once it is broken in well.

I wouldn't worry about the shock body travel.. I have a 4-way with a 4 position SPV (bought later) installed. I weigh #270 and have the main can at 210psi, (just upped that from 200 recently- bigger stuff nowadays), the piggy at 150psi, the rebound 4 clicks from full on, and the SPV in the 4 spot... Closest I have come to bottom according to the shock body wiper ring is about 3/8 inch or so... plenty of travel left at the rear wheel... anyway, reason I am telling you this:

If you are bored one day take that 4 position platform thing off the piggy and check out the internals... Manny is not clear in their manuals on this.... If you had (which you don't) the old SPV adjustment (16mm 'red' hex) you would clearly see righty-tighty- which means you would have a shorter but firmer platform (XC style).. but with the 4 flip switch it isn't as clear... if you take it apart and look it will be. It has aligning baffles which close off sections... The 1 position (on mine, and if memory serves correct) has the deepest/less resistant platform while the 4 has the most shallow/firmest platform...

It is backwards to what you would think in other words... Or at least to the way I thought... Check it out and see dude... it may come to be important or not.. but worth checking out...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
drewactual said:
mc-

I have two cents to drop here fwiw:

You WILL need break in time. It took me a couple weeks to get the baffles (i am assuming) and seals to free up as designed..... It also makes a squishing/sucking sound when it is new, that will wear off (unless you really compress it fast) once it is broken in well.

I wouldn't worry about the shock body travel.. I have a 4-way with a 4 position SPV (bought later) installed. I weigh #270 and have the main can at 210psi, (just upped that from 200 recently- bigger stuff nowadays), the piggy at 150psi, the rebound 4 clicks from full on, and the SPV in the 4 spot... Closest I have come to bottom according to the shock body wiper ring is about 3/8 inch or so... plenty of travel left at the rear wheel... anyway, reason I am telling you this:

If you are bored one day take that 4 position platform thing off the piggy and check out the internals... Manny is not clear in their manuals on this.... If you had (which you don't) the old SPV adjustment (16mm 'red' hex) you would clearly see righty-tighty- which means you would have a shorter but firmer platform (XC style).. but with the 4 flip switch it isn't as clear... if you take it apart and look it will be. It has aligning baffles which close off sections... The 1 position (on mine, and if memory serves correct) has the deepest/less resistant platform while the 4 has the most shallow/firmest platform...

It is backwards to what you would think in other words... Or at least to the way I thought... Check it out and see dude... it may come to be important or not.. but worth checking out...
Thanks for the info!!!
I have noticed it's getting smoother and the rebound is getting faster the more I ride it.
It also seems to be getting a bit quieter than when I first got it..

FYI: I'm about 180lbs with gear. I run 115psi in the main and 100psi (the min for the X3 and 4 Only according to Manitou) in the SPV with the volume backed all the way out (0 turns) I set the rebound 1 click from full fast.
I have been messing with the lever off and on for different terrain.

So far the most travel I've used according to the O-ring is almost exactly 2 inches.
This really doesn't bother me yet because I haven't hit anything big..
Plus it's really nice not bottoming off a pebble like I did with the DHX Air..:D

Now to give you some info..:)
I think my shock might be a bit different than you think.
It does have the old style 16mm red hex volume adjustment. It's the same one that's on my 2004 4 Way Coil. I haven't messed with this yet because I haven't needed to.

Also the lever is not on the piggyback it's on the air can end of the shock.
It firms up when I turn it clockwise.
There are 4 distinct clicks but the only way it's even remotely noticeable is at the firmest and plushest settings but it's very little.
It doesn't do much but I think this might also be due to break in because oddly I only had 3 clicks of adjustment when I took it on it's first tuning tide.
It didn't go into the 4th (firmest) setting.
Honestly I thought it only had 3 clicks and that the manual was wrong..:D but the next time I rode the bike it had a 4th click....:confused:

Another strange thing is the SPV pressure ratings.
Printed on the decal on the piggyback it says SPV pressure 100 to 250psi. In the manual it says 100 to 175psi.
I called Manitou to ask about this and they didn't have an answer. He said he would look into it and get back to me.
It doesn't matter to me that much because I'm running it at the 100psi minimum, but I was curious because when I first got the shock. I attached my SPV pump (175psi MAX) to it to make sure it had enough pressure in it and the needle shot up WAY beyond the 175 max of the pump.
I just thought it was weird because all my other SPV and CVT shocks had a max of 175psi

"Well" I hope this clears up some confusion and doesn't confuse you more about this shock..:D
Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok another update.
Yesterday I finally spoke to Shannon (sp?) at Manitou/Hayes about the SPV air pressure.
He was a very cool and helpful dude..:D

First and most important. He said don't totally rely on the manual. Some of the info is for the previous 2007 shocks..

The range in the SPV chamber for the 08 X4 actually is the 100psi to 250psi. printed on the piggyback decal. Though I have no idea why anyone would want to run it that high.:)

I also asked him if I could go below the 100psi without hurting the shock if I wanted to run it plusher.
He said I could still go as far down as 50psi like the older SPV shocks without hurting it but I must be careful not to run it below that.
He also said to always check the pressure when making any Volume adjustments.

Yesterday I had a chance to mess with the pressure a bit more.
I ran the SPV pressure between 80 and 90 psi. 90 psi still felt a bit firm to me so I went down to 80 psi.
At 80 psi the shock felt great!!! It was more plush initially and felt better on small bumps.
Also with the lower pressure the "No Tools Platform Adjuster" (silver lever) made much more of a difference.
With the lever fully counter clockwise the shock was plush and felt good for most riding.
With the lever in the 4th click the shock would firm up and ride higher in it's travel.
It's not so firm that it feels locked out but firm enough to make it better for climbing and still be used all the time if you want to.
I didn't have time to mess with the 2nd and 3rd click. I just wanted to get the feel for the two extremes. I'll try them out this weekend.
The rebound has also gotten faster the more I ride it. I am now running it 3 clicks in from full fast.
I still have not bottomed this shock but have used more travel than before.
The shaft O-Ring has shown I have used 2 1/4 out of 2.5 inches.

I really like this shock. The more I mess with it the more I like it...:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.