Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes:

Hello All,

I just installed a set of XR rockers( thanks to MightySchmoePong) on my '04 Burner. I was setting up the sag when I discovered that my Swinger 3 Way was only 6.250" eye to eye and that the shaft was only 1.250" exposed. I played around with the SPV pressure and found that it affects the eye to eye length if the SPV and Air spring pressure are too close. I was running 120psi SPV and 130psi in the air chamber with the original set up. I am now running 90psi in the SPV chamber and 170 in the air spring with the new XR Rockers. I am still only getting 6-3/8" eye to eye and 1-5/16" exposed shaft. Is this normal for a 3 Way? I am running 80psi in my Talas at 120mm travel stting. Does this sound right for 160lb rider? I am ordering an RP23 next week to replace the Swinger. Any information on set-up would be very cool!:D

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
My supposedly 190mm long Swinger actually measures 192mm. I have not heard of them being short. Have you deflated the shock and unscrewed the air canister? I understand that swingers can get "stuck-down" just like Foxes.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
The swinger that came on my Burner never had 1.5" of exposed shaft, even before it stuck down, and it still measured 6.5" i2i. The new swinger they replaced it with has the same amount of exposed shaft as the RP3 I bought, I doubt anyone is getting the full 3.6" with the stock Swinger.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
Mine may be stuck down. It's in the same condition as Turn1's is. Since I don't have a bike to put it on I haven't fiddled with it. Manitou wanted $60 to look at it and since I'm not going to ride it in the near future I didn't spend the $. I didn't measure it when I got the bike nor when I put the XR rockers on so I don't know when the problem crept in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SPV affect

I have not tried servicing the shock. I have a lot of experience servicing the Float AVA on my Ventana. Is the Swinger similar? I'll check w/ Manitou. I would like to have the shock as a back up. I have been fairly happy with the performance aside from filling the SPV every ride!
I did empty the main air spring and SPV chamber and the shock colapsed full down. I'll play with it more after I get my new shock. Anyone have advise on the level of platform I should order on the RP23? I read you can order it soft, medium, or firm?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The 3-Way is almost as easy to open up as the Fox air shocks. Just deflate, remove the SPV shrader's valve core, use a 3mm allen inside the valve stem to remove the valve stem from the shaft, and unscrew the air can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the service manual, if the shock compresses when pressurized it may be a leaky seal. My shock compresses when the air is removed. They do not metion this issue. It sounds to me like the shock needs a factory service or may just be on its way out. They describe an issue with the damping ( I assume the SPV cicuit) that is not repairable. It is not very clear though. I'll try to open it up and take a look.

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
If it is compressing when you let air out of the main chamber you probably have too much pressure in the negative chamber (caused by a intermittent leak in the seal between the two). I don't believe the negative chamber on a Swinger is self-adjusting like in Floats. But, if you can get the air can off, you might be able to get it working again. Careful taking the air can off, the negative pressure will want to make the shock come apart in your hands. I assume that the only negative pressure is whatever you get from putting the shock back together.

FWIW, I've never taken my Swinger apart after reading some of the stories of people trashing theirs trying to get the air can off..

op

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.