Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a question for DW or someone with knowledge of Rear shock internals. Does anybody know how to make an SPV shock have a DW 'light tune" internally ? Is it simply using a lighter weight oil like 2.5 weight ? Or is it modifying the SPV parts ? I'm curious because on the Answer website they show how to take a Swinger coil shock apart for people who want to bleed thier shock. Since I'm rebuilding one myself I was wondering if there is something I can modify internally or if I simply use less or a lighter weight oil to make the shock dampening work faster for my 7 Point.

Any ideas would be great!!

Here is the service page for the Manitou Swinger: http://www.answerproducts.com/serviceguides.asp?function=64&guideid=108

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
DirtDiggler said:
This might be a question for DW or someone with knowledge of Rear shock internals. Does anybody know how to make an SPV shock have a DW 'light tune" internally ? Is it simply using a lighter weight oil like 2.5 weight ? Or is it modifying the SPV parts ? I'm curious because on the Answer website they show how to take a Swinger coil shock apart for people who want to bleed thier shock. Since I'm rebuilding one myself I was wondering if there is something I can modify internally or if I simply use less or a lighter weight oil to make the shock dampening work faster for my 7 Point.

Any ideas would be great!!

Here is the service page for the Manitou Swinger: http://www.answerproducts.com/serviceguides.asp?function=64&guideid=108
The lighter weight oil would only speed up or slow down the rebound damping.(not even sure this is doable)
You would need to modify the SPV threshold. Basically making the SPV open up sooner and at a lower bump force. How this is done at home, I have no clue. Maybe Manitou would walk you through the process.

Greg

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Yogreg, that makes sense. I thought maybe the lighter oil would flow threw the valves faster and make the shock feel less platformy. I will call Manitou up and see if the SPV can be modified. Maybe its a matter of spacing out the valve as you said with a shim? I would be stoked if I can figure it out.

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
Since rebound is externally adjustable on all Swinger coils, I would just use lighter weight oil and crank up the rebound damping to compensate.

The rebound adjustment has a ridiculous range...I can set mine to take about ten seconds to come back, so lighter oil shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks El Caballo, I'm not entirely sure if the lighter oil will give it a lighter tune or not . I read the Devolve thread regarding SPV forks and it seems like it's a combo of lighter oil and adjusting the internals. I would love to hear from someone who has been inside an SPV shock (5th or Swinger) and knows what to remove or adjust to make it DW link worthy. Apparantly, Swingers dont need to be nitrogen charged so you can pretty much just pull them apart without worrying about it blowing up. You do need a few tools from manitou to get it open but it's relatively easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.