Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Manitou swinger coil 4way 200x50 w/ a 500lbs spring. i only weigh 145 but like my suspension stiff. usually wat 170 pound riders set thiers at. I like Free ride lots of 4-6ft drops and various dirt jumps, I also ride mild downhill. but i also do xc w/ my girlfriend. So i need stiff but there when i need it. Anyone have an idea wat kind of air pressure i need to put in it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats cute buddy. I didnt know we were all trying to be grammactically correct when we need a helping hand of advice. I mean i thought forums are for advice and high school was grammar and spelling. I guess we should all cater to you and pay more attention. And just so you know, the manual says 75psi to 150psi. Any more bright ideas? Because im thinkin the next time you have a thought... let it go.

Sorry to anyone else reading this post. I would appreciate any useful input though. Thanks

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
swoll_929 said:

sorry, had to :D

you have a coil spring platform shock.. adding air pressure increases the platform. in other words, it makes the shock harsh. its almost solely for pedal efficiency. if you want a stiffer shock, you're going to have to change the spring out.

you can also adjust bottom out by turning in the red spv knob.. spv takes a bit of fiddling to get right, and its going to be kind of personal. just take your shock pump with you and feel free to change pressures around mid ride until you find what works.. i bet with an spv shock with decent bottom out control, you wont like such stiff shocks anymore. it can do its thing and support your riding while not bottoming out without being excessively stiff.

you *must* run at least minimum spv pressure or the shock wont actually work.. and may break.

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
You need to achieve at least 25% sag. I run a #350 on my coil 4-Way and I'm about the same weight as you. Be aware that different bikes use different leverage ratios though.

To adjust my bottom out I need a special tool from Manitou but some later models have the bottom out control in a 4 position knob that you can turn with your fingers. If your getting bad bottom out during your drops just crank that baby down.

For XC put more air pressure into your SPV chamber. I run mine at 70psi and it's just right. Run just enough air pressure to keep your bob down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had it pumped to 95psi by the lbs for free today i have been playin w/ preload and rebound i think i just about have it perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts