Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
1. Better. Overall performance is far superior than DHX-A. Plusher, don't bottom, and no infamous stuck down issue. Replaced my DHX-A with Swinger 4way and couldn't be happier.
2. Platform lever for 4way does not exist. Can't shutoff SPV damping on/off only more or less w/ SPV air psi.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I've had a 4-Way Air on one of my trail Bullits for years. I just recently rebuilt the thing out of guilt. Isn't the new shock with the lockout lever called an X4? I thought the 4-Way Air had been replaced with the X4. To get the lockout/platform adjust you'd have to totally disassemble the 4-Way and hope the parts you bought...the entire upper head of the shock and such...would fit the 4-Way. That not's worth the gamble and would involve a good deal of work.

As to the 4-Way Air, it's a great shock. I wouldn't worry about the lack of the lever. Apparently they incorporated that lever to jack up the SPV to such an extent that it basically locks down the compression circuit...or at least I speculate that from their description. However, after being inside my 4-Way, the location of the lever would cause me to think it's a simple compression circuit control at the head of the shock, as the SPV is totally contained in the piggyback.

I've run the DHXA and the 4-Way Air on the same Bullit, and there was no contest. The 4-Way Air was superior. Mine was over 3 years old and still performed perfectly. I just figured it was time for an oil change in the damper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am also running a 4-Way and I don't know why anyone would want a shock with lockouts, too much to fuss with. This shock performs so well by itself. The SPV does a great job on my Jamis Dakar XLT that I can run 75% body weight in the main chamber and 40% in the SPV. No pedal bob, good small bump compliance and I it to nearly bottom out 10% of the time when I hit 3' plus air, which is not too common for me. Suspension linkage makes a difference with this shock though, I have single pivot that does okay with the 4-way, but better than any fully active shock or one that needs a lockout. Slow speed grinds on the single pivot are rock solid, I only see some movement in the third chain ring. I love this shock and will consider it for every bike I every ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.