Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had this shock for 3 years and it worked flawlessly. recently it started to kick back really fast and hard. it used to return really smooth and soft. i tried to readjust it again from the beginning without any luck. even when rebound is set to slowest it returns really quick, it almost kicks me out of saddle. is it me doing something wrong or is it geting old or damaged somehow?
 

·
on my 3rd wind...
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Sounds like the reboud damping is gone. If you want it professionally fixed, email Bobby Acuna at [email protected]. His price is cheapest around for Manitou shock rebuild; he knows Manitou better than anyone. He converted my 6way to 4way when rebound damper started clunking harsh. He suggested the conversion based on what he "knows".
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Also look at Dr willy's post going on right now on this forum with the same problem with his Swinger. I'd also recommend Bobby for any service...especially for Manitou. I dealt with him at Manitou for quite some time...a decent and knowledgeable guy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tiger, is that something that i could fix myself, is there any tutorial around? any special tools needed. if its too complicated ill just have it over to bobby.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
brankulo said:
tiger, is that something that i could fix myself, is there any tutorial around? any special tools needed. if its too complicated ill just have it over to bobby.
You'll have to disassemble the shock fairly completely, as the SPV is in the piggyback. I'm not sure the problem you're describing is the SPV. I think the rebound circuit continues to function even if the SPV is disabled. The rebound circuit is at the opposite end of the shock from where the SPV is. It will require 3-4 special tools. The Manitou site under the tech tab has all the pics and text for rebuilding their shocks. They also specifically cover the issue of servicing the SPV. I rebuilt my 4-Way Air this summer after over 3 years of use. The shock was still performing perfectly, but I figured it was at least time for an oil change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
It is not an easy task and if money is not an issue, I suggest you send it to someone who knows shocks. I am pretty sure you are experiencing a faulty spv, had the same problem last week, I changed the spv to another one and was good to go!
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
TrailTiger said:
It is not an easy task and if money is not an issue, I suggest you send it to someone who knows shocks. I am pretty sure you are experiencing a faulty spv, had the same problem last week, I changed the spv to another one and was good to go!
I will admit that I haven't seen a sticking or failed SPV here in our area, but I know it's something that does occur. Our Manitou shock issues...very few overall...have been limited to a leaking seal or o-ring. The OP's description still sounds like the rebound circuit has failed in some manner, air in the damper oil, etc. I didn't do an extensive study of my 4-Way's SPV, as it was functioning just fine, but I did read the text about SPV failure and service. I'm not claiming absolute knowledge on this by any means, but can you explain how the SPV issue will cause a complete lack of rebound on its own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I read it propably from the famous ridemonkey threads considering 5th elements. When the seal inside spv piston is worn, it lets oil inside the piston and it gets "stuck". Because of this, oil can bypass the spv piston without any compression or rebound damping. I´ve had this happen with 5th air and coil. It feels exactly like brankulo said. I hope my memory served right:) .
 

·
Ridin' dirty!
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
TrailTiger said:
I read it propably from the famous ridemonkey threads considering 5th elements. When the seal inside spv piston is worn, it lets oil inside the piston and it gets "stuck". Because of this, oil can bypass the spv piston without any compression or rebound damping. I´ve had this happen with 5th air and coil. It feels exactly like brankulo said. I hope my memory served right:) .
Yep. exactly.:thumbsup:
Try to run a SPV shock with zero (0) psi in the SPV chamber and you lose all of your rebound....a sticky SPV will do the same, regardless of the pressure setting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
Yea the SPV gets stuck "open" so your damping is gone. Think of it as someone took your compression shim stack off a shim type damper now oil is no longer being forced through the rebound port or shims it will just flow though the big gaping holes in the main piston.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
That makes sense. Not ever having had to diagnose one, I couldn't see the connection at first. Thanks.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top