Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
talked to transition bikes today, and have pretty much decided to pre order the bottlerocket. However, in order to have the bike for my colorado trip I am limited in my shock choice to the manitou options, a swinger 4-way coil, or the air option. Kevin at transition says he thought the coil pedaled more efficiently than the air, and required less maintenance. What do you guys think, oh, and the coil is roughly $120 less than the air.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Lickqid said:
talked to transition bikes today, and have pretty much decided to pre order the bottlerocket. However, in order to have the bike for my colorado trip I am limited in my shock choice to the manitou options, a swinger 4-way coil, or the air option. Kevin at transition says he thought the coil pedaled more efficiently than the air, and required less maintenance. What do you guys think, oh, and the coil is roughly $120 less than the air.
If you are the hucking type that likes to get AIR at every give opportunity get the COIL. I had the 4 way coil and it was very constant performer, never gave me a problem. I have had the 3 way air and they are not as plush either. On the bottlerocket, I would go with the coil. Then get wat I really wanted at a later date. Happy trails.:D

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'd go with the coil. I went with that on my Preston and have been happy with it since. You'd pay less for a shock that performs better and is more durable as opposed to a shock that's just a little lighter and doesn't feel as cush.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Kind of riding?

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of riding do you plan on doing with your BR? If lots of trail is involved, I think you'd be surprised by how well the 4-Way Air works. I use one on one of my Bullits and another guy at the shop uses one on his Heckler. We're both fairly aggressive trail riders with some moderate jumps and drops thrown in. We are both really pleased with the performance of the 4-Air. We've had bikes through the shop with the 4-Coil also, and I think it's a solid shock. For aggressive trail, I've become more fond of these newer piggyback air shocks...have a DHX-Air on the other Bullit. They are super tuneable and have excellent bottomout control. They are not "glass slippers". They are plenty durable and reliable for most anything short of hardcore FR. I would still recommend a coil for true FR, but these piggyback air shocks are stepping it up for sure.

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
TNC said:
Maybe I missed it, but what kind of riding do you plan on doing with your BR? If lots of trail is involved, I think you'd be surprised by how well the 4-Way Air works. I use one on one of .
TNC any other pics???

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
What shots do you want?

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
TNC any other pics???
That bike is about 30 feet away in my shop if you want some detail. And if you're talking action shots, I'm usually on the Nomad with the group when we're taking action pics.:D I'm usually riding alone on this one. It's my XC bike.:D

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
if its gunna see alot more hucking and what not... i'd say coil. if you want it to serve as a more all mountain/fr thing... i'd consider the air.

what colors are you thinking? i'm thinking that the blue or yellow colors that came on BMW M3's for a while would be a cool color. i'd vote something with a metallic/metal flake to it though!!

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
hey, before you go manipoo, consider a fox DHX

ive owned a 4-way for a year and a half, i put the fox on 3 days ago, and it feels like i went from a hardtail to suspension again. Incredible.

If you gonna gonna go manipoo, i say get the coil shock, mine was reliable, i will give it that, and the air 4-way my friend has has wierd "hiccup" problems that nobody can figure out, not to mention maintinence.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
yeah, i was def. thinking the DHX too, but i don't think it's an option for him? if you can though i'd go with something besides manipoo too!

since you said you have to make due with one of those two... does this mean you will be looking to upgrade in the near future at all? cause if it does just go with the cheap shock!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I'm going to keystone and vail it looks like in mid august, so I want to get the bike set up before then, and transition said the 07 DHX's aren't supposed to get to them till sometime in september. SO for now its manitou, but I might upgrade, depends on the experience with manitou.

as for riding style, I'll be doing most everything (DH, DJ, FR, trail, and DS) but if going air means the shock won't be as good on drops I won't go that way.

and as for the colors, unfortunately the only colors available are these

http://transitionbikes.com/Image_Preview.cfm?Image=Gallery_BottleRocketColors.jpg

too bad a grey travis is hard to match a frame color with, but I think i'll go raw. Seems like a safe bet.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
yeah, coil is the way for you then.

man, their color options SUCK! If i were you i'd go either black or raw i guess. but i can see green working with the grey fork, but you just don't strike me as a pink kind of a guy... maybe i'm wrong?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
From your description.

Lickqid said:
well I'm going to keystone and vail it looks like in mid august, so I want to get the bike set up before then, and transition said the 07 DHX's aren't supposed to get to them till sometime in september. SO for now its manitou, but I might upgrade, depends on the experience with manitou.

as for riding style, I'll be doing most everything (DH, DJ, FR, trail, and DS) but if going air means the shock won't be as good on drops I won't go that way.

and as for the colors, unfortunately the only colors available are these

http://transitionbikes.com/Image_Preview.cfm?Image=Gallery_BottleRocketColors.jpg

too bad a grey travis is hard to match a frame color with, but I think i'll go raw. Seems like a safe bet.
I'd go with the coil. We're a Transition dealer, and one of our riding buddies has a Dirtbag with a 4-Way coil. He is a real freerider and puts it to his bike. He's a big, tall rider. The 4-Way coil has performed very well with no problems. It's easy to tune also. I wouldn't be afraid of it. And later if you want, you can try another really high end shock and keep the 4-Way as a spare. Everyone needs a spare.;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ibanezrg520kid said:
yeah, coil is the way for you then.

man, their color options SUCK! If i were you i'd go either black or raw i guess. but i can see green working with the grey fork, but you just don't strike me as a pink kind of a guy... maybe i'm wrong?
I will never buy a pink bike. If only a green were metallic, I sort of like the green, but if it didn't work it'd just look horrible.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Lickqid said:
I will never buy a pink bike. If only a green were metallic, I sort of like the green, but if it didn't work it'd just look horrible.
i'm with ya on the pink bike thing. yeah, i like green, its my fav color, but just since its not a metallic or anything i prolly wouldn't get it in fear of the fact that it may look like seaweed or something and then you are stuck with a bike that looks bad.

if you go raw it comes with no decals, so are you able to order any? or would you just wanna leave it plain? you could always have it painted too!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ibanezrg520kid said:
i'm with ya on the pink bike thing. yeah, i like green, its my fav color, but just since its not a metallic or anything i prolly wouldn't get it in fear of the fact that it may look like seaweed or something and then you are stuck with a bike that looks bad.

if you go raw it comes with no decals, so are you able to order any? or would you just wanna leave it plain? you could always have it painted too!
I could get it painted, still not sure, and I haven't researched the diferent painting options, I wish they could paint some decals on but I suppose its all superficial. I think i'll go raw, hopefully it won't clash too bad with the travis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.